Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

BlindTiresias

(1,563 posts)
Sun May 4, 2014, 03:14 AM May 2014

Let's Face It (Snowden)

If Snowden revealed what he did and fled the United States under the Bush administration the Democrat anti-Snowden folks would be at the very least reluctantly defending him. That they do not is pure tribalism and a disgrace to all lovers of liberty.

15 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies

Tarheel_Dem

(31,230 posts)
2. How do you know what "Democrat anti-Snowden folks" would be doing?
Sun May 4, 2014, 04:59 AM
May 2014

And tribalism, as you call it, is what we do here. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for the "partisan" rules called the TOS.


Vote for Democrats.
Winning elections is important — therefore, advocating in favor of Republican nominees or in favor of third-party spoiler candidates that could split the vote and throw an election to our conservative opponents is never permitted on Democratic Underground. But that does not mean that DU members are required to always be completely supportive of Democrats. During the ups-and-downs of politics and policy-making, it is perfectly normal to have mixed feelings about the Democratic officials we worked hard to help elect. When we are not in the heat of election season, members are permitted to post strong criticism or disappointment with our Democratic elected officials, or to express ambivalence about voting for them. In Democratic primaries, members may support whomever they choose. But when general election season begins, DU members must support Democratic nominees (EXCEPT in rare cases where were a non-Democrat is most likely to defeat the conservative alternative, or where there is no possibility of splitting the liberal vote and inadvertently throwing the election to the conservative alternative). For presidential contests, election season begins when both major-party nominees become clear. For non-presidential contests, election season begins on Labor Day. Everyone here on DU needs to work together to elect more Democrats and fewer Republicans to all levels of American government. If you are bashing, trashing, undermining, or depressing turnout for our candidates during election season, we'll assume you are rooting for the other side.

Don't be a wingnut (right-wing or extreme-fringe).
Democratic Underground is an online community for politically liberal people who understand the importance of working within the system to elect more Democrats and fewer Republicans to all levels of political office. Teabaggers, Neo-cons, Dittoheads, Paulites, Freepers, Birthers, and right-wingers in general are not welcome here. Neither are certain extreme-fringe left-wingers, including advocates of violent political/social change, hard-line communists, terrorist-apologists, America-haters, kooks, crackpots, LaRouchies, and the like.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=termsofservice

Number23

(24,544 posts)
5. ((Rubbing my eyes))
Sun May 4, 2014, 05:06 AM
May 2014

Didn't I see this exact same OP posted yesterday? Or was it the day before? The day before that???

Funny what some label "propaganda" around here, ain't it? Posting the same thing over and over and over and over again is just speaking "troof to powa" but posting in support of the Democratic president/administration on an DEMOCRATIC SUPPORTING web site is a crime guilty of the stasi.

I get the feeling that some are upset that (on this issue at least) DU lines up with a sizeable majority of Americans and doesn't consider Snowden a hero. Dare to mention that a large majority want him jailed as well and folks really seem to lose it.

Tarheel_Dem

(31,230 posts)
6. They're pissed that Snowie's PR campaign has been an EPIC fail, here in the US.
Sun May 4, 2014, 06:00 AM
May 2014

With each new accolade his supporters purchase, his numbers continue to tank. Two thirds of Americans feel exactly as we do. That includes Democrats, Republicans and Indies. An equal number want his ass dragged back to the States, and prosecuted.

I'm so sick of these Johnny-Come-Latelys' stirring up shit here. We know who they are. Twenty posts in, and they're already trashing the party, the administration, and anyone who supports either. It seems to completely escape them that this is not a Yahoo message board, but one with a partisan mission, and the TOS clearly state that.

Fuck the USSR Snowden, and all who sail in him. Besides, didn't Wikileaks just confirm that it was no accident how he wound up in Mother Russia?

bobduca

(1,763 posts)
14. awww its so cute when you call him "snowie"
Sun May 4, 2014, 07:08 AM
May 2014

its like with your small act heroism (primary school taunt) he's rendered harmless to your hyperpartisan narrative!

uponit7771

(90,335 posts)
3. Drake deads this thread and many pro Snowden threads. He did the same as Snowden without...
Sun May 4, 2014, 05:01 AM
May 2014

... leaking to US adversaries overseas and was only charged with a misdemeanor from Obama admin.

Snowden on the other hand has shown to out and out just lie about whether or not he tried to go through proper channels and out and out started giving data and info to US adversaries overseas like Russia and China.

What does telling Germany we spy on their prime minister have to do with the US 4th amendment!?

... then prop a overtly LGBT hater like Putin in the open.

You guys can keep supporting Snowden, he's show FACTUALLY that he's not a good character overall the aforementioned actions

 

randome

(34,845 posts)
9. Let's face it...
Sun May 4, 2014, 06:19 AM
May 2014

...when Bush was President, Snowden said leakers should be shot in the balls. If you want to go this route, it works both ways, BlindTiresias.
[hr][font color="blue"][center]A 90% chance of rain means the same as a 10% chance:
It might rain and it might not.
[/center][/font][hr]

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Let's Face It (Snowden)