HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Accused Ponzi schemer All...

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:02 PM

Accused Ponzi schemer Allen Stafford "suicidal" and unfit for trial, his doc says

(Bloomberg) R. Allen Stanford is suicidal and may never recover sufficiently from a jailhouse beating to stand trial next month on charges he ran a $7 billion Ponzi scheme, a doctor who examined him for the defense testified.

Defense lawyers and U.S. prosecutors argued for the second day in federal court in Houston over Stanford’s mental fitness. Stanford, 61, says he can’t remember family vacations, business dealings or romantic encounters with women because of the attack and because of anxiety drugs. The U.S. says he’s faking it.

Dr. Ralph Lilly, a neurologist, testified today that Stanford sustained “a major injury that required major surgery’’ in the 2009 inmate assault. Stanford is delusional and believes the government is out to destroy him, Lilly said. The doctor said he couldn’t predict when Stanford might be ready for trial.

“He’s at risk for suicide,” Lilly told U.S. District Judge David Hittner, citing an examination of Stanford this month. “His memory is like a crossword puzzle that’s fallen to the ground and doesn’t come together anymore.” ................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-21/stanford-doctor-says-financier-is-suicidal-unfit-for-trial-in-ponzi-case.html

6 replies, 1544 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Accused Ponzi schemer Allen Stafford "suicidal" and unfit for trial, his doc says (Original post)
marmar Dec 2011 OP
comipinko Dec 2011 #1
Bonhomme Richard Dec 2011 #6
TheWraith Dec 2011 #2
cliffordu Dec 2011 #3
atreides1 Dec 2011 #4
KansDem Dec 2011 #5

Response to marmar (Original post)

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:05 PM

1. Ok give him a razor blade, and privacy.

If he is not dead by morning, put him on trial.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to comipinko (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 05:54 PM

6. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:05 PM

2. I think just about every inmate over the age of 30 has tried this one. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:17 PM

3. Fine. Give him a .22 and a single bullet.

Reply to this post

Response to cliffordu (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:33 PM

4. No

Give him a .45, that way it'll be definite.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:38 PM

5. I remember this guy!!! He was asked once by CNBC "Is it fun being a billionare?"

Every time I think of Stanford, I remember the Daily Show episode where Jon Stewart exposed CNBC’s “hard nose journalism” with such riveting questions to Stanford (before he was arrested) as “How does it feel to be a billionaire?” Now THAT’s journalism.

http://www.theinsanityreport.com/home/index.php/2009/09/16/news/how-the-mighty-have-fallen-ex-billionaire-allen-stanford-gets-public-defender/

Here's the video--

The "hard-hitting" question is asked at 0'23"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread