HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Atlanta residents can’t d...

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 11:36 AM

Atlanta residents can’t decide whether ‘Negro season’ graffiti is anti-black or anti-police

Like a Rorschach ink blot, different Atlanta residents are taking away different interpretations of a piece of street art painted on the side of a building depicting cartoon character Elmer Fudd with a shotgun in hand beneath a sign reading “Negro season.”

According to CBS46, the graffiti was painted on the side of a building housing Allied Barton — a security company that provides armed and uniformed security officers — and is just blocks away from an art school.

Unlike the cartoon Elmer Fudd, the artist’s rendition has Fudd in a cop’s uniform instead of hunting clothes and deer stalker hat.

While some residents see the artwork as racially motivated, encouraging police to gun down African Americans, others see it as mocking police as bumbling incompetents who hunt and kill innocent blacks.

“It makes people feel unsafe, you know, uncomfortable” said one woman.

Another man told CBS46, “He’s trying to intimidate black people.”

“He’s definitely white,” another woman suggested of the artist. “I don’t see why somebody would want to do that if he was being racist to his own kind.”

Another woman said it might be a “political statement” from a Black Lives Matter activist."

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/atlanta-residents-cant-decide-whether-negro-season-graffiti-is-anti-black-or-anti-police/

5 replies, 1459 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Atlanta residents can’t decide whether ‘Negro season’ graffiti is anti-black or anti-police (Original post)
damnedifIknow Aug 2015 OP
Journeyman Aug 2015 #1
surrealAmerican Aug 2015 #2
damnedifIknow Aug 2015 #3
snooper2 Aug 2015 #4
JI7 Aug 2015 #5

Response to damnedifIknow (Original post)

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 11:45 AM

1. In my neighborhood, we treat all graffiti equally -- we paint over it immediately. . .

it helps reduce gang frictions and discourages further blemishes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 11:55 AM

2. The fact that it can be interpreted as making opposite statements ...

... is either the whole point of the image, or makes it ineffective at getting its point across.

I expect the former. It's probably a meta-statement.

Reply to this post

Response to surrealAmerican (Reply #2)

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:10 PM

3. I don't know how to take it

so if it were up to me I'd probably get rid of it. This could give some nut out there ideas.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:12 PM

4. pretty good art work considering the person was probably in bit of a rush

Nailed the eyes

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:53 PM

5. the point would still be the same

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread