HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » William Weld Teams Up Wit...

Wed May 18, 2016, 09:36 PM

William Weld Teams Up With Gary Johnson, Boosting Libertarians

William Weld Teams Up With Gary Johnson, Boosting Libertarians
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/05/18/william-weld-teams-up-with-gary-johnson-boosting-libertarians/

Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson is teaming up with former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, hoping to offer dissatisfied voters an alternative to presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump and Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

We got together and shook hands on it, Mr. Johnson told the Associated Press, which first reported the news. It brings an enormous amount of credibility to what it is Im doing. Im unbelievably flattered by this and humbled.

Joe Hunter, communications director to Mr. Johnson, confirmed that the two men had agreed to work together as a ticket. Mr. Weld will seek the Libertarian Partys vice presidential nomination, while Mr. Johnson is considered the front-runner to win the Libertarian presidential nomination.

Both men will still need to win the nominations at the Libertarian convention in Orlando next week. Together, they would form a third-party ticket composed of two popular two-term Republican governors, putting the Libertarian ticket in a stronger position in November.

Sweet! Almost as good as Romney. Maybe they'll get a lot of nevertrump republican votes. Both are former Republican governors and Gary Johnson might make a difference in many libertarian-leaning swing states out west while Bill Weld might get some moderates from the Northeast.

5 replies, 1061 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply William Weld Teams Up With Gary Johnson, Boosting Libertarians (Original post)
IronLionZion May 2016 OP
UTUSN May 2016 #1
IronLionZion May 2016 #2
joeybee12 May 2016 #4
braddy May 2016 #3
HughBeaumont May 2016 #5

Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Wed May 18, 2016, 09:47 PM

1. "William WELD" is alive?!1 Plus, wasn't he a Lib/Moderate-Repuke?!1 nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UTUSN (Reply #1)

Wed May 18, 2016, 09:52 PM

2. He was very popular in Massachusetts

because of his libertarian/moderate beliefs.

He'll def get votes from libertarian/moderate repukes that may be familiar with him and can't stomach Trump.

Also a lot of independents who can't stand either party. This is likely to be a breakout year for the L party.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #2)

Wed May 18, 2016, 10:00 PM

4. He lost badly in his last race, which was for the Senate

I think his time is passed.

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #1)

Wed May 18, 2016, 09:52 PM

3. William Weld is who Romney described as his political mentor.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Wed May 18, 2016, 10:02 PM

5. I wouldn't vote Libertarian if you paid me, but I certainly encourage every Republican to do so.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread