HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Man who identified as a w...

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 04:33 PM

Man who identified as a woman was allowed in our all-women's shelter.

Man who identified as a woman was allowed in our all-women's shelter. It was the wrong call (OPINION), May 24, 2016, Malta Davis, Guest Columnist, Oregon Live

In June 2014, I was admitted to a women's homeless shelter in Northeast Portland. This was my second attempt to lift myself out of homelessness through the assistance of Transition Projects, which runs the shelter.

Like most of the residents, I was there because I had run out of options. None of us was thrilled about living with as many as 60 other women. Our only task was to make the most of it so we could transition into something better.

A few weeks into my stay, I returned to find a number of women in distress. Reportedly, one woman had even fled the shelter in terror.

What was wrong? What was the uproar about? An answer soon followed: The shelter had admitted a man who "self-identified" as a woman. No doubt this was not a first for the shelter; it was, however, a first for those of us who were relative newcomers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/05/man_who_self-identified_as_a_w.html

With the discussion focused on public restrooms and locker rooms, I ran across this and wondered, what about women's homeless shelters?

I didn't see this posted.

20 replies, 3115 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Man who identified as a woman was allowed in our all-women's shelter. (Original post)
EL34x4 Jun 2016 OP
braddy Jun 2016 #1
uppityperson Jun 2016 #16
braddy Jun 2016 #19
Post removed Jun 2016 #2
REP Jun 2016 #4
EL34x4 Jun 2016 #5
KamaAina Jun 2016 #3
Warren Stupidity Jun 2016 #6
EL34x4 Jun 2016 #7
Warren Stupidity Jun 2016 #8
Humanist_Activist Jun 2016 #9
romanic Jun 2016 #10
EL34x4 Jun 2016 #12
Warren Stupidity Jun 2016 #13
romanic Jun 2016 #15
uppityperson Jun 2016 #18
Warren DeMontague Jun 2016 #11
yardwork Jun 2016 #14
uppityperson Jun 2016 #17
LostOne4Ever Jun 2016 #20

Response to EL34x4 (Original post)

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 05:08 PM

1. I have done volunteer work repairing a small women's shelter in a two bedroom house with

with bunk beds, the women seem pretty fragile to me and already have enough on their minds, having a transgender joining them in that little living room and in their bedroom, might not be popular with them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to braddy (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 01:39 PM

16. I've volunteered a lot and what about women whose abusers were women?

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #16)

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 04:34 PM

19. I give up, what about them?

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 05:18 PM

4. That's an anti-abortion, anti-LGBT garbage site

Calling it garbage is an insult to garbage, though.

Reply to this post

Response to REP (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 05:21 PM

5. That assault was covered in mainstream media sources as well.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 05:16 PM

3. SF has an all-LGBT shelter.

http://kron4.com/2015/06/17/nations-first-lgbt-homeless-shelter-opens-in-sf/

Jazzie’s Place, the first homeless shelter for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender adults in the U.S., opened in San Francisco’s Mission District today to help serve the housing needs of nearly a third of the city’s homeless population who identify as LGBT.

Wendy Phillips, the director of Dolores Street Community Services and Jazzie’s Place, said the new shelter is intended to be a space where all shelter guests are treated with dignity and respect.

The shelter is named after Jazzie Collins, a transgender African American woman who was an advocate for homeless LGBT folks prior to her death in 2013.

Collins was also among those who helped dream up the LGBT shelter, according to Tommi Avicolli Mecca, the director of counseling programs at the Housing Rights Committee of San Francisco.

I ran into Jazzie at quite a few budget actions back in the Ahh-nuld era.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 05:23 PM

6. Ok where should a homeless transgender woman find shelter?

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 05:27 PM

7. Women's shelters

Where else should they go?

Reply to this post

Response to EL34x4 (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 10:26 PM

8. yeah. And they are likely to be at risk there as well.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 10:32 PM

9. Eh, transphobic piece of shit has an opinion, and it should carry weight why? n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 10:34 PM

10. Was it an actual trans woman or just a dude saying he was a woman?

Judging by how upset the women were at this shelter, I think it may have been the latter.

Reply to this post

Response to romanic (Reply #10)

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 08:32 AM

12. Who makes this decision?

Some people are gender fluid and may at any time identify as male, female, genderqueer, pangender, trigender, other non-binary identity, or any combination of identities.

Reply to this post

Response to EL34x4 (Reply #12)

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 09:41 AM

13. Cis transphobes.

Reply to this post

Response to EL34x4 (Reply #12)

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 01:35 PM

15. Okay.

pangender, trigender, other non-binary identity, or any combination of identities.

All this is new to me. :I

Reply to this post

Response to romanic (Reply #10)

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 01:42 PM

18. If you read the article, it was an "actual" trans woman and the author's transphobia is clear

But at no point did I come to regard Clarence as a woman, nor did I refer to him as one. I saw him as an intelligent, sensitive, but very fragile and confused man. That is to say, I afforded him the dignity he deserved as a human being without denying the truth of his gender.
(clip)

for every man who is admitted into a women's shelter under the speciousness of gender ideology, untold numbers of bona fide women are left waiting on the streets. That is not just unfair, it's unjust.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 3, 2016, 10:40 PM

11. This sort of bigotry is not new phenomenon, sadly.

The condescending, nasty tone of that piece is real nice, especially considering the fact that transgender people who are also homeless probably constitute one of the MOST marginalized groups in all of society. Yet the verbiage she uses about the woman in question- "a confused man", scare quotes around self-identified; typical.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 10:46 AM

14. Anybody promoting this scare tactic should be ashamed of themselves.

I've never seen such lies and hysteria directed at a tiny, vulnerable population.

People need to grow up. Deal with your own personal problems instead of spreading hysterical lies about trans people who are trying to mind their own business.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 01:41 PM

17. This part shows the author's transphobia.

But at no point did I come to regard Clarence as a woman, nor did I refer to him as one. I saw him as an intelligent, sensitive, but very fragile and confused man. That is to say, I afforded him the dignity he deserved as a human being without denying the truth of his gender.
(clip)

for every man who is admitted into a women's shelter under the speciousness of gender ideology, untold numbers of bona fide women are left waiting on the streets. That is not just unfair, it's unjust.

Bull. Shit.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 4, 2016, 04:58 PM

20. Why are you posting this transphobic article on DU? nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread