HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » California Guard vets tol...

Mon Oct 24, 2016, 05:11 PM

California Guard vets told to repay millions in enlistment bonuses

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/24/us/national-guard-recruitment-bonus-repayment/index.html

I don't really feel sorry for these guys. Being in the military myself, they always tell you that you are responsible for knowing your pay, bonuses, and entitlements. And if they overpay you or make a mistake they are going to take it back. There have been instances when I received extra money or a bonus. I always reasearch to find out why and if it was correct. I don't spend it until it is confirmed. I make sure to keep all my paperwork. Sometimes it was an error and sometimes it was correct.

3 replies, 501 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply California Guard vets told to repay millions in enlistment bonuses (Original post)
Proud liberal 80 Oct 2016 OP
mwrguy Oct 2016 #1
manicdem Oct 2016 #2
Proud liberal 80 Oct 2016 #3

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Original post)

Mon Oct 24, 2016, 05:23 PM

1. No sympathy

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Original post)

Mon Oct 24, 2016, 06:19 PM

2. Most of them probably thought it was legitimate

For most of the Soldiers affected, I think they thought it was truly legitimate. The recruiters lied to them and paperwork altered to show that they were eligible for it. I feel sorry for them. However I'm sure a fraction of those did know it was wrong and if they were further investigated, Soldiers will be going to jail.

Reply to this post

Response to manicdem (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 24, 2016, 06:58 PM

3. These were reenlistment bonuses

Not enlistment so recruiters weren't involved. Once you are in the military and want to reenlist, you know if your job is eligible for a bonus or not regardless of what someone is telling you.

So either they knew and were hoping that no one would find out or they didn't confirm it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread