HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Vogue: No, Hillary Clinto...

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 09:53 PM

Vogue: No, Hillary Clinton, the First Woman to Win a Major-Party Presidential Nomination,

No, Hillary Clinton, the First Woman to Win a Major-Party Presidential Nomination, Does Not Need to Shut Up About It

https://www.vogue.com/article/hillary-clinton-what-happened-doesnt-have-to-shut-up/amp

...There’s some truth to at least one facet of this new Clinton backlash: For many people, these are indeed dark times and the Democratic party does need to get its act together and focus on resisting and defeating Trump. But for the most part, the criticism of Clinton’s book is just more sexist drivel from the never-ending well of misogyny and sexism that’s been being hurled in her direction during her long career of public service. Hillary Clinton doesn’t have to go out “gently”—or be otherwise schooled on how she should or should not handle her particular, unprecedented situation. She’s the first woman to win a major party’s presidential nomination in American history; she definitely doesn’t have to shut up about it, not now, not ever.

The attempts to silence Clinton are in fact just more proof that the misogyny she writes about in What Happened was not imagined, and is still working against her. There has been an avalanche of hot takes and postmortems about the 2016 election—true story: there are still Fox News segments about Clinton’s emails, not to mention the president still tweets about “Crooked Hillary.” But the one analysis that at least some segment of the public, including members of Clinton’s own party, don’t want to hear is that of the person who could practically feel Trump’s breath on her neck on the debate stage? I know the news cycle moves pretty fast, but even 10 months later, it’s insane to suggest that Clinton’s assessment of what happened is extraneous; technically, it’s everyone else’s that is. And yet, gallingly, critics still manage to deem her somehow unqualified to share the ultimate behind-the-scenes view of how this dumpster fire went down, as if there is some better person to process it all....

Curiously, the impulse to banish Clinton has not applied to male presidential runners-up, as noted in The New Yorker’s hilarious satirical essay “It’s Time for Hillary Clinton to Gracefully Bow Out of Public Life, Taking All Other Women With Her.” Writes Daniel Kibblesmith: “No recent failed presidential candidate has ever had such a prominent public role post-election, with the possible exceptions of Al Gore, who produced and starred in an Oscar-winning documentary; Senator John McCain, who is a constant television presence; and Mitt Romney, who—you gotta admit—seemed like a pretty good dude in that Netflix movie.”

The dismissal of Clinton’s book is sadly not dissimilar from the way Senators Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris have recently been all but shushed in Congress. There’s something about a powerful woman using her voice—and in a way that is not gentle or measured but bold and pointed—that still doesn’t sit well with the general public. (See: Clinton openly threatened with cries of “lock her up” to this day at Trump rallies; being called a “nasty woman.”) In spite of her achievements—and likely because of them—Clinton has always been seen, as then-candidate Barack Obama quipped in 2008, as just “likable enough.” During the 2016 campaign (and long before), she was lambasted for being rehearsed and robotic—a policy wonk, lacking in natural charisma. (By the way—what we wouldn’t give for a policy wonk in the White House today . . .) But now that she’s speaking freely and frankly, the sexist little secret is being laid bare: People didn’t want Clinton to change her manner of speech; they wanted her to stop talking altogether. Consider that while people want Clinton to be quiet, noted white nationalist political mastermind Steve Bannon got the mainstream sit-down treatment on 60 Minutes last night. Or that on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last week, Sanders all but belittled Clinton’s book as “silly,” a statement that felt like the equivalent of a husband calling his wife “hysterical.”

102 replies, 9970 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 102 replies Author Time Post
Reply Vogue: No, Hillary Clinton, the First Woman to Win a Major-Party Presidential Nomination, (Original post)
mcar Sep 11 OP
musette_sf Sep 11 #1
TexasTowelie Sep 11 #2
lapucelle Sep 11 #3
George II Sep 11 #14
murielm99 Sep 11 #27
betsuni Sep 11 #38
Maven Tuesday #40
R B Garr Tuesday #45
ehrnst Tuesday #54
MrsCoffee Tuesday #68
mcar Tuesday #73
wryter2000 Tuesday #80
lapucelle Tuesday #89
ehrnst Tuesday #87
Squinch Sep 11 #4
BigmanPigman Sep 11 #5
Alice11111 Sep 11 #33
llmart Tuesday #56
smirkymonkey Tuesday #58
bettyellen Tuesday #78
llmart Tuesday #86
crazycatlady Tuesday #60
lapucelle Tuesday #88
crazycatlady Tuesday #90
lapucelle Tuesday #98
crazycatlady Tuesday #100
Me. Sep 11 #6
calimary Tuesday #92
Me. Tuesday #97
leftstreet Sep 11 #7
kcr Sep 11 #8
leftstreet Sep 11 #11
George II Sep 11 #17
4now Sep 11 #13
melman Tuesday #49
George II Sep 11 #15
JHan Sep 11 #18
Hekate Sep 11 #22
JHan Sep 11 #23
Alice11111 Sep 11 #35
uponit7771 Tuesday #64
jalan48 Sep 11 #19
Hekate Sep 11 #21
murielm99 Sep 11 #28
mountain grammy Sep 11 #34
George II Tuesday #75
mountain grammy Tuesday #76
SusanaMontana41 Wednesday #101
melman Tuesday #48
LanternWaste Tuesday #63
MrsCoffee Tuesday #69
leftstreet Tuesday #85
Lucinda Sep 11 #9
BainsBane Sep 11 #10
Control-Z Sep 11 #12
George II Sep 11 #16
Hekate Sep 11 #25
George II Sep 11 #30
ehrnst Tuesday #53
forgotmylogin Sep 11 #20
Hekate Sep 11 #24
calimary Tuesday #91
benld74 Sep 11 #26
mcar Tuesday #74
nycbos Sep 11 #29
mdbl Tuesday #51
L. Coyote Sep 11 #31
ismnotwasm Tuesday #71
NurseJackie Sep 11 #32
calimary Tuesday #93
DesertRat Sep 11 #36
spanone Sep 11 #37
betsuni Tuesday #39
Sparkly Tuesday #41
Post removed Tuesday #42
haveahart Tuesday #43
R B Garr Tuesday #44
delisen Tuesday #46
betsuni Tuesday #47
ehrnst Tuesday #52
smirkymonkey Tuesday #57
crazycatlady Tuesday #61
ehrnst Tuesday #50
Trueblue Texan Tuesday #55
calimary Tuesday #94
Madam45for2923 Tuesday #59
onetexan Tuesday #62
Paladin Tuesday #65
The Mouth Tuesday #66
MrsCoffee Tuesday #67
ismnotwasm Tuesday #70
librechik Tuesday #72
niyad Tuesday #77
niyad Tuesday #79
Native Tuesday #81
mcar Tuesday #96
NastyRiffraff Tuesday #82
maddiemom Tuesday #84
Gothmog Tuesday #83
Starry Messenger Tuesday #95
StarzGuy Tuesday #99
Cary Wednesday #102

Response to mcar (Original post)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:21 PM

1. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:22 PM

2. K&R.

Listening to Hillary speak is a breath of fresh air compared to Trump who prompts me to hit the mute button.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:27 PM

3. I'm sensing a shift in the narrative and

a sense of growing impatience with the doctrinaire element of the progressive wing. The worm is beginning to turn.

Meanwhile, Democrats in Washington will hold certain people close in order to keep an eye on exactly who is and isn't an ally. Chuck and Nancy were masterful in navigating Republican machinations in June and July. They are not easily played

Historians will be pouring over Clinton's memoir for decades to come. It is an important part of the historical record and will be treated as such.

The latest iteration of the popular beach-reads, "Chicken Soup for the Pre-Pubescent Revolutionary Soul"...not so much. But every hipster parent will buy the self-help guide, so the franchise (and the royalties!) will continue.

Nothing says "serious" book like a cutesy-folksy cartoon on the cover and a very large typeface. Was the bird included in on the brightly-colored glossy cover?

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:51 PM

14. "Chicken Soup for the Pre-Pubescent Revolutionary Soul"

That's beautiful, VERY creative - thanks!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:10 PM

27. This post is brilliant!

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:58 PM

38. +1

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:25 AM

40. This is a great post.

Thanks.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:19 AM

45. Excellent post!

Love the book title!

And the bird was just...weird.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:30 AM

54. LOL!!! (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:19 AM

68. +++++++++

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:49 AM

73. Great post!

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 01:16 PM

80. Love the title

Can you tell me what book you're referring to? I don't know if I'm familiar with it.

Reply to this post

Response to wryter2000 (Reply #80)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:17 PM

89. I can't remember it offhand, but

the coloring book should be out in time for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales blitz.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:09 PM

87. But that awesome, miraculous hair...

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:30 PM

4. Kick!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:31 PM

5. Sexism is thriving in the good 'old USA!

Last edited Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:07 AM - Edit history (2)

And most people are so used to it that they do not see it when it smacks them in the face. I have been dealing with this shit for my entire life and have had it! Women need to seriously boycott and strike but realistically too many are more than happy to allow things to stay status quo.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #5)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:31 PM

33. Well put.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 08:06 AM

56. So true.

Those of us who are around the same age as Hillary are gobsmacked by how much sexism and misogyny are still around and worse of all, how younger women can't even recognize it. It pains me to even know that white women voted for trump in vast numbers, or that they believed the lies about Hillary.

Reply to this post

Response to llmart (Reply #56)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 08:12 AM

58. I'm much younger than Hillary, but even I am shocked by how many 20-somethings I see in my

office who are completely blind to the sexism that surrounds them. They have no appreciation for the fact that the ONLY reason that they have their good, well paying positions is because women before them have had to fight for a place at the table. Sometimes I just want to smack the lot of them upside the head.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #58)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:54 PM

78. Studies have suggested women don't see it as bad early in their careers as there is a veneer of

equality in the workplace that didn't exist thirty years ago. They don't see it till they're in their thirties and see how they are treated with contempt if they vie for promotions and raises. They don't realize that much less competent men are given more oppprtunity and praised for behavior they are ridiculed for.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #58)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 04:48 PM

86. I make it a point to tell them...

about some of the incidents that happened to me in my time in the workplace so that at least they can maybe take it in and realize that they have gained something from our struggle and fight for equality.

When I tell them that I had to quit my job when I was "starting to show" in my pregnancy because "no one wants to look at a pregnant woman in the office" (meaning, MEN didn't want to look at a pregnant woman) they actually don't believe me. Or about how when I had to get a new job after my baby was born, I was told by the staffing agency not to reveal that I had a baby or they wouldn't hire me.

I worked mostly with men when I was a younger woman and the stories of sexual harassment are legendary. You were just supposed to "be a good sport" about it.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 08:28 AM

60. Sadly sexism thrives in Democratic campaign offices too

I'm a female staffer. On my last campaign, my boss told me 'good girl' on more than one occasion.

I should have asked him if he wanted me to play fetch and roll over.

Reply to this post

Response to crazycatlady (Reply #60)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:11 PM

88. Are you a campaign staffer or do you work for the party itself?

Depending on which area you are working in, you should report it immediately, especially if it is a "thriving" problem. It's unacceptable.

I will say, however, that in 2016 there were problems with the way some women staffers and volunteers were treated. I've been working locally this summer (we had a primary election today) and things seem to have gone back to the way they normally are.

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #88)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:17 PM

90. Campaign staffer

I've worked for various campaigns, state parties, and consulting firms (I'm with a firm now).

THe "good girl' comment from my boss at the last firm (along with a 1.5+ hour commute each way) was reason for me to give my notice. I was the first woman the firm hired in my position.

It also depends on the state (worked in 9) and culture of the campaign.

Reply to this post

Response to crazycatlady (Reply #90)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:38 PM

98. Terrible and inexcusable.

I'd call it out loudly if it happens again. Let the candidate know. That kind of stuff is radioactive at this point.

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #98)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:51 PM

100. I hope that giving notice sent a message

I'm used to the work being a sausage festival, but talking to me like a dog is another story.

The term "Good girl" (and good boy for that matter) should only be used on pets.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:35 PM

6. Indeed She Doesn't

Reply to this post

Response to Me. (Reply #6)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:19 PM

92. Damn fucking right she doesn't.

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #92)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:35 PM

97. I'll SEcond That

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:38 PM

7. Oh FFS

attempts to silence Clinton
Except for Sunday's CBS Morning interview

dismissal of Clinton’s book
Apparently a Bestseller at Amazon

impulse to banish Clinton
Book tours selling out

This article is pouty and stupid

Reply to this post

Response to leftstreet (Reply #7)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:41 PM

8. Thank you for proving the article's point n/t

Reply to this post

Response to kcr (Reply #8)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:43 PM

11. The article can't prove it's own point n/t

Reply to this post

Response to leftstreet (Reply #11)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:54 PM

17. No, done....and done.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:51 PM

13. So true lol

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 05:39 AM

49. So to disagree with something proves it's right

That gem never gets old.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:53 PM

15. And then you have "All In with Chris Hayes".

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:55 PM

18. the attempts to gaslight are getting tiresome

You want another , less reverent, take to drive the point home ?

"If you have the Facebook or the Twitter, you have likely seen somebody repost an article along the lines of “Why Hillary Clinton Should Take A Hike And Go Away And Shut Up Forever.” If you clicked on it, you know what it said. If you didn’t, you still know what it said.

Despite how at least 10 men have been struck with the completely original idea of writing a Tumblr-quality screed about STFU HILLARY OMG, she, defiant as always, has not notified her publisher that she wishes to cancel the release of her book, What Happened, and moreover, she hasn’t notified her real estate agent that would like to purchase a cave at the bottom of the sea to live in for the rest of her days, so she doesn’t offend anyone ever again. You may pre-order your copy of said book right here!

PFFFFFFFFT, Hillary. Like anybody’s going to read her dumb book, which we ordered today. Probably just gonna give it to the Wonka-dog and watch her judgmentally refuse to even chew it up, since it’s probably just a bunch of secret Goldman Sachs speeches anyway.

Anyway, Vogue has a really nice new excerpt! (Click here for the last excerpts we wrote about!) In it, H. Rodham writes about her marriage to B. Clinton, why she hasn’t acceded to many people’s requests that she divorce him, and what it was like having him by her side in the hours after she “lost” the election. (Those are our “quotation marks,” lest one of the self-appointed arbiters of Hillary Clinton’s behavior find himself in a tizzy because SHE’S NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILI-TAH!!!!@!!1!!1benghazi!!!!)

Read more at https://wonkette.com/622774/defiant-hillary-clinton-still-releasing-book-tuesday-even-though-at-least-10-men-think-she-shouldnt#ghgjA9UfFGlB7WfO.99"

but yeah, I guess Wonkette is just delusional , like everyone else seeing Clinton derangement syndrome in full effect.

Charlie P at Esquire - also delusional.. every writer who has pointed this out - TOTALLY delusional I guess.. right.

Reply to this post

Response to JHan (Reply #18)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:06 PM

22. +10000 for Wonkette!

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #22)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:08 PM

23. Always! They're too fabulous :)

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:34 PM

35. Well done.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 10:38 AM

64. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:59 PM

19. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:03 PM

21. How very special of you to prove the point

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:14 PM

28. The people who are trying to silence her are

pouty and stupid,

But thanks for the turn of phrase. It will come in handy.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:32 PM

34. She wasn't my first choice,

but I think this article is dead right. Yes, her book is a bestseller, she won the popular vote. I think the CBS Morning interview was a bit ridiculous. What male who ever "lost" any elction was asked over and over if he was finished?

Really, when you look at it, and I'm looking at it from a woman's point of view, I think she's been held to a standard no man has ever had to meet. Just look at who's in the White House!

Reply to this post

Response to mountain grammy (Reply #34)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:26 PM

75. I know of one who hasn't been asked that yet, unless I missed it.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #75)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:45 PM

76. my point is, NO man is ever asked that, what's yours?

Reply to this post

Response to mountain grammy (Reply #34)

Wed Sep 13, 2017, 02:17 AM

101. I'm guessing all candidates who lose elections are asked that question or some form of it.

Except maybe Nixon, who didn't wait to be asked after he lost the California gubernatorial election in 1962. He told the press it "wouldn't have Nixon to kick around anymore."

Missed the CBS interview but I have no problem with such a question. She's served this country a long time. She's not disappearing, and the question gave her the chance to say so.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 05:15 AM

48. Agreed

It's completely ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 10:12 AM

63. A most wonderful and accurate example of irony.

"pouty and stupid..."

Yours is a most wonderful and accurate example of irony.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:20 AM

69. Haters gonna hate.

From here to eternity.

This post is what is pouty and stupid, lol.

Reply to this post

Response to MrsCoffee (Reply #69)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:39 PM

85. The article makes Hillary look weak. She's not

She's boldly out there in the media, writing and promoting a book, stating her opinions after one of the most horrifying defeats ever

The article is whiny and pouty and casts a little-girl victim cloud over a person quite capable of taking care of herself AND the media

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:41 PM

9. TY KNR

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:43 PM

10. Oh, yes. All true.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:47 PM

12. I hope to see articles like this every single morning

when I wake up, instead of what fresh hell the new day will bring.

We all should be raising hell every damn day for the way Hillary was treated (and name every last asshole who participated), the election outcome, the absence of recounts and investigations (especially into those 3 suspect states), and the way the nation has just accepted the stolen election as something that just happens (if your name is Hillary Clinton). No biggie.

I swear, the very first talking point put out by the maggot and repeated by the media was, The Russian interference didn't alter the outcome of the election in any way. Besides, there would be no way of ever really knowing anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to Control-Z (Reply #12)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:54 PM

16. Unfortunately we can't name "every last asshole" now, can we?

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #16)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:09 PM

25. So many *holes, so little time

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #25)

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:16 PM

30. ...

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #25)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:30 AM

53. +1000 (nt)

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:03 PM

20. Go, Vogue! (n/t)

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:08 PM

24. I have developed such a respect for Vogue magazine!

Thank you, mcar.

And for Vogue

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #24)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:19 PM

91. This might help make up for the damn Kim & Kanye cover, over which I canceled my subscription.

And I subscribed since my 20s. Hillary has earned the right to say whatever the hell she damn well pleases to say. I'm not interested in hearing from anybody else on this subject. I've been busy and haven't had time to shop, but as soon as I can come up for air, I'm buying a copy of her book. With GREAT pride. She's still my girl. And frankly, SHE'S my President.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:10 PM

26. I'm sick of HRC bashing - Some never tire

Reply to this post

Response to benld74 (Reply #26)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:07 PM

74. Me too

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:15 PM

29. I have said it before but I will say it again,

she would in my opinion fully justified in saying this to the people "I tried to warn you about him. You didn't listen. You are getting exactly what you paid for. Now f*** off."

I wasn't always a fan of hers but I have a grown to be an admirer.

Reply to this post

Response to nycbos (Reply #29)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:29 AM

51. that statement should be in the back cover of her book

bold quotes below the synopsis.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:21 PM

31. The first woman to win the popular vote for President of the United States.

The satire piece:

Reply to this post

Response to L. Coyote (Reply #31)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:34 AM

71. That's an awesome piece of satire

Damn!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:30 PM

32. Some here think she should have waited 8 to 12 YEARS!

All this disrespect and contempt for Hillary makes me sick.

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #32)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:20 PM

93. Take a number.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:50 PM

36. K&R

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:51 PM

37. K&R...

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:06 AM

39. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:37 AM

41. Yes indeed!!

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #42)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:05 AM

43. Because she wants to make money from her book doesn't mean there was no misogyny involved in

her loss. And I suggest that your post is more proof about it. Women can be misogynist also and that was as much a factor for many as anything else.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:12 AM

44. This sounds familiar, too, though. Have you gotten

over the 2016 loss yet, yourself? The phony accusations about Clinton were never proven in that one either.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 04:16 AM

46. You guarantee? How can your guarantee

about someone else motives be worth anything?

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 04:30 AM

47. That's an old silly one, Hillary does everything only for money?

Right, because she has seven houses, a private island, secret closets full of couture and fur coats, bank safes stuffed with precious jewels. Of all the people to accuse of doing things only for money, you choose Hillary Clinton?

Reply to this post

Response to betsuni (Reply #47)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:29 AM

52. Lord, You'd think she was hawking her book in churches, or something... (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 08:09 AM

57. Because men never do anything for money.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 08:34 AM

61. no she's not complete-- she needs a tower in Manhattan named after her

</sarcasm>

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:27 AM

50. K&Rec

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:43 AM

55. I'm going to buy the audio version...

..so I can listen at work. Great thread!

Reply to this post

Response to Trueblue Texan (Reply #55)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:22 PM

94. Welcome to DU, Trueblue Texan!

That sounds like a good idea. I may do that, too. Good for in-the-car.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 08:21 AM

59. The First Woman to Win a Major-Party Presidential Nomination, Does Not Need to Shut Up About It

and win the Popular Vote!

F*cking A.

No, Hillary Clinton, the First Woman to Win a Major-Party Presidential Nomination, Does Not Need to Shut Up About It

https://www.vogue.com/article/hillary-clinton-what-happened-doesnt-have-to-shut-up/amp

ROAR HILLARY ROAR!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Madam45for2923 (Reply #59)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:14 AM

62. heck yea

Hillary has every right to speak her mind, whenever she wants.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 10:46 AM

65. K&R, X-1000.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:17 AM

66. 'Cold and robotic' -no

I mean she's a fine public speaker. She, however has a husband who is one of the best ever, and followed another one of the best orators America has ever produced.

I mean face it, President Barrack Obama is a tough act to follow.

It would be like the guitarist who had to follow Jimi Hendrix onstage

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:18 AM

67. Double K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:24 AM

70. No shit

Some of of what's happening reminds me of dogs tearing up grass in an pathological aggressive display

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 11:36 AM

72. of course she does. They'll whine and cry until she shuts up

and we all better keep in mind what happened to Hillary if we want to change America.

NO AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE OR PREPARATION OR SMARTS OR HONORABLE BEHAVIOR CAN EVER OVERCOME THE LACK OF PENIS. THEY WILL RISE AGAINST YOU, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE.

and that goes double for minorities.

Put that in your campaign plan and smoke it, ladies. We took this all the way to the endgame. The same thing will happen whenever we try to bump up against the glass ceiling. And we are the only antique idiotic government (except for theocracies) on earth which still lives in the 19th century.

Ready to chain yourself to a post again and again? They're going to make us repeat the battle we have already won, because those in power can't accept real democracy. It happens to include women and minorities and union workers. And apparently, after we win legally, they just take it away from us de facto.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:52 PM

77. so very true:

But for the most part, the criticism of Clinton’s book is just more sexist drivel from the never-ending well of misogyny and sexism that’s been being hurled in her direction during her long career of public service. Hillary Clinton doesn’t have to go out “gently”—or be otherwise schooled on how she should or should not handle her particular, unprecedented situation. She’s the first woman to win a major party’s presidential nomination in American history; she definitely doesn’t have to shut up about it, not now, not ever.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 12:58 PM

79. K AND R

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 01:23 PM

81. Hillary's resiliency is ineffable. She is the personification of toughness.

And I am continuously in awe of this woman. I think what upsets me most about all of this are the women who've voiced misogynistic critiques of all things Hill, like Ruth Marcus. There should be a special place in Hell🔥 for people who eat their own.

Reply to this post

Response to Native (Reply #81)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:24 PM

96. I'm in awe of her too, Native

And ditto your take on Ruth Marcus.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 01:56 PM

82. "what we wouldnt give for a policy wonk in the White House today"

Truth, there. Another truth: She is a policy wonk. And another: It's possible to be a policy wonk AND be "likable." People who have known Hillary Clinton personally have commented on how warm she is, how she worries about staff members' health, how friendly she is to people she meets on the campaign trail.

Yes, the misogyny raged on BOTH sides of the political spectrum throughout the campaign and is still going on today. I remember when Bill was elected and the rampant sexism was aimed at Hillary the second after the election was called. She shouldn't have kept her maiden name, her hair was all wrong, she shouldn't have changed her hair, her clothes, the fact that she was (gasp!) a lawyer just as if she was a man, etc. etc. We think we as a country have gotten past that; sadly, we're finding that we haven't.

I'm still with her.

Reply to this post

Response to NastyRiffraff (Reply #82)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:35 PM

84. And then Bill said something about the country getting "two for one," innocently

including Hillary in his electoral victory. Remember that? Who would have imagined that this apparently started the misogynists looking at the first lady in a new and suspicious way

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:12 PM

83. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:22 PM

95. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:46 PM

99. I Agree

Let's not forget she also won the majority of the 2016 election by 2 million.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 13, 2017, 07:30 AM

102. I'll be buying her book

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread