HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Alaska (Group) » Alaska's governor and att...

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 07:00 AM

Alaska's governor and attorney general say Anchorage's mask mandate doesn't apply to state offices.

Alaska’s largest city is requiring face coverings in most indoor public settings, but Anchorage and the state of Alaska disagree on whether that mandate applies to state buildings.

In a memo distributed to state employees, Alaska Attorney General Kevin Clarkson wrote on Friday that Anchorage’s new coronavirus masking mandate does not apply to state offices, the people who visit them, or employees in those offices.

Anchorage municipal attorney Kate Vogel responded Monday by saying Clarkson provided “inaccurate legal advice” and is “undermining a local health order.”

The Alaska Department of Law said later that Clarkson stands by his memo. The city, through spokeswoman Carolyn Hall, said it is evaluating its options when it comes to a next step.

Read more: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2020/06/29/alaskas-governor-and-attorney-general-say-anchorages-mask-mandate-doesnt-apply-to-state-offices-the-city-disagrees/

4 replies, 546 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alaska's governor and attorney general say Anchorage's mask mandate doesn't apply to state offices. (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2020 OP
madaboutharry Jun 2020 #1
dem4decades Jun 2020 #2
Laelth Jun 2020 #3
Ferrets are Cool Jun 2020 #4

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 07:04 AM

1. I am so tired of republicans and their "liberty."

They need to be called out for the selfish assholes they have always been.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 07:18 AM

2. Republicans are fucking brain dead, do they have to kill us too?

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 09:25 AM

3. How can a state law NOT apply to the state?

This makes no sense. I would hear and consider an argument that said the state can not deny essential services to people simply because they were not following a particular state law (the mask mandate, in this case), but the state’s own employees inside the building? No. The law most certainly applies to them, even if I were willing to allow citizens to enter the building without a mask.

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Response to Laelth (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 09:45 AM

4. This

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread