HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » On the fight against HIV ...

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 11:56 PM

On the fight against HIV and AIDS—and on the people who really started the conversation.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by etherealtruth (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: www.medium.com

Yesterday, at Nancy Reagan’s funeral, I said something inaccurate when speaking about the Reagans’ record on HIV and AIDS. Since then, I’ve heard from countless people who were devastated by the loss of friends and loved ones, and hurt and disappointed by what I said. As someone who has also lost friends and loved ones to AIDS, I understand why. I made a mistake, plain and simple.

Read more: https://medium.com/@HillaryClinton/on-the-fight-against-hiv-and-aids-and-on-the-people-who-really-started-the-conversation-7b9fc00e6ed8#.jd4b4d29d

10 replies, 1965 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply On the fight against HIV and AIDS—and on the people who really started the conversation. (Original post)
videohead5 Mar 2016 OP
Bluenorthwest Mar 2016 #1
forest444 Mar 2016 #2
Cavallo Mar 2016 #9
uppityperson Mar 2016 #3
Fearless Mar 2016 #4
markpkessinger Mar 2016 #5
840high Mar 2016 #7
pothos Mar 2016 #6
restorefreedom Mar 2016 #8
etherealtruth Mar 2016 #10

Response to videohead5 (Original post)

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 12:12 AM

1. When can I hear her tell the real story on TV in front of millions? Let me know.

There is no way I will so much as follow a link for her, this is all on her. She can't tweet her way out of it

She has much work to do to make this right. And I'm not going to go looking for it. She has tons of money and she can spend it to educate America about what Reagan did and who sounded the warnings and protested until the end.

This is simply Not Good Enough Hillary. Not even close.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 12:19 AM

2. A great and timely thread. You might remember 'And the Band Played On', produced by HBO in 1993.

While, like any documentary film, it was in some ways contentious, it really captured the atmosphere of criminal negligence that prevailed in the Reagan administration toward the AIDS crisis at the time.

As Dr. C. Everett Koop pointed out, the administration, from Reagan himself on down, viewed AIDS as a problem that mostly affected only "homosexuals and i.v. drug users" and therefore not fit to be addressed in any way. Rather like the clergy viewed the bubonic plagues in the Middle Ages, really.

Response to forest444 (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 04:09 AM

9. Good movie! I watched the whole thing from your link.

I didn't know any of that. Thanks for it!

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:01 AM

3. A good statement with 3 words lacking. If she'd written those 3 words, I'd enthusiastically rec.

I am sorry.

It is a very good statement on what needs to happen and an explanation that she made a mistake. Kudos for saying you have a mistake as that can be very difficult. Thank you for understanding and acknowledging that you caused pain for a great many people. Please go the extra bit and say those 3 words. Thank you.

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:08 AM

4. Hillary Clinton LIED

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:48 AM

5. Hillary's lie was a calculated attempt to court Republican voters who are appalled by Trump. . .

. . . it was no mistake.

Response to markpkessinger (Reply #5)

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 02:27 AM

7. Yes.

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 02:05 AM

6. Nice history lesson

Someone that understands that much history would never, ever think to say that Nancy Reagan was ever an advocate for those with AIDS.

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 03:25 AM

8. i am so sick of her lies and lame attempts to cover them up.

when is the clinton foundation indictment supposed to come down? could save us a lot of trouble going forward.

Sun Mar 13, 2016, 08:35 AM

10. I am sorry, LOCKING

Statement of Purpose

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.

please feel free to repost this in GDP