HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Stress of poverty, racism...

Mon Jul 17, 2017, 08:47 AM

Stress of poverty, racism raise risk of Alzheimers for African-Americans, new research suggests

Source: Bangor Daily News

A new group of studies into racial disparities among people with Alzheimer’s disease suggests that social conditions, including the stress of poverty and racism, substantially raise the risks of dementia for African-Americans.

In four separate studies, researchers found that conditions that affect blacks disproportionately compared with other groups — such as poor living conditions and stressful events such as the loss of a sibling, the divorce of one’s parents or chronic unemployment — have severe consequences for brain health later on.

One study by University of Wisconsin researchers found that stress literally takes years off a person’s life in terms of brain function — an average of four years for African-Americans, compared with 1˝ years for whites.

Another Wisconsin study showed that living in a disadvantaged neighborhood is associated with later decline in cognitive function and even the biomarkers linked to Alzheimer’s disease, which is the most common form of dementia.

<more>

Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/2017/07/17/next/stress-of-poverty-racism-raise-risk-of-alzheimers-for-african-americans-new-research-suggests/?ref=latest

2 replies, 1112 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stress of poverty, racism raise risk of Alzheimers for African-Americans, new research suggests (Original post)
jpak Jul 17 OP
Loki Liesmith Jul 17 #1
SweetieD Jul 17 #2

Response to jpak (Original post)

Mon Jul 17, 2017, 09:04 AM

1. Not sure I believe this is tested adequately

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jpak (Original post)

Mon Jul 17, 2017, 09:31 AM

2. I know this is totally anecdotal. But I have never known any elderly black person with

Alzheimers. I have known people with mild dementia or memory loss. I guess maybe I don't know the precise definition of Alzheimers. But the old people I have known with what I consider Alzheimers have all been old and not so old white people. And what I think of when I think alzheimer's is when people can't recognize loved ones, places they are etc.

Like I said this is just my experience. I am black. And most of the people in my maternal side lived to be in their 80s and 90s.so I have interacted with a lot of elderly black people. And I don't feel like arguing about this so no need for links or whatever saying I am wrong. Just sharing my own experience.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread