HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » ACLU Strains To Clean Up ...

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 04:41 PM

ACLU Strains To Clean Up Trump Administration's Family Reunification Mess

Source: DAILYBEAST

A week after the Trump passed the buck to non-governmental organizations to reunite families, several say the government continues to hinder the process.

08.09.18 2:37 PM ET

“We absolutely are not planning on allowing the government to thwart reunification based on a supposed claim of a parent knowingly being removed without their kid,” Lee Gelernt, the deputy director of the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project, told The Daily Beast. “The judge has made it clear that if the parents want their child, they are entitled to their child—regardless of whether the government thought it was voluntary.”

That the onus is on the ACLU and other non-profit organizations to track down parents that the government lost track of is the latest example, advocates say, of the government’s “pitiful” attempts to cobble together a cohesive response to an immigration disaster of own making.

“It’s going to require a really collaborative effort, given the magnitude of what we’re facing,” Leah Chavla, an international human rights lawyer and policy advisor with the Women’s Refugee Commission, told The Daily Beast. “It’s kind of ridiculous that we have to step into these big big gaps that [the Trump administration] left—it shows a callousness, and that the intent is not really to facilitate reunification.”

“The government needs to step up and act in some way, make more information available to advocates,” Chavla said. “Something needs to happen—we are stepping in because the government failed.”

Read more: https://www.thedailybeast.com/aclu-strains-to-clean-up-trump-administrations-family-reunification-mess

I wonder if we will find out that the Trump Admin. is actually in some way or another sabotaging the reunification efforts??? I would not put it past Trump and his swamp creatures!

8 replies, 786 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply ACLU Strains To Clean Up Trump Administration's Family Reunification Mess (Original post)
riversedge Aug 2018 OP
Mc Mike Aug 2018 #1
lark Aug 2018 #2
Gothmog Aug 2018 #3
djacq Aug 2018 #4
turbinetree Aug 2018 #5
BBG Aug 2018 #8
DippyDem Aug 2018 #6
procon Aug 2018 #7

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 04:46 PM

1. Agree that the sabotage looks purposeful.

They're the bad bratty little kids who you can't make eat their vegetables. You'll find some under the table, lodged in their napkins, etc.

Appeared to acquiesce and relent in the face of the backlash, then stonewalled and slow walked every day since then.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 04:50 PM

2. Of course they are obstructing the reunificaton.

They never ever intended to reunify the family, stealing, caging and torturing the children was always the intention. They are paying $700 per day per child and only the largest of drumpf donators got chosen for this fleecing of American taxpayers and torture for children, including DeVos. I'm 100% certain drumpf is getting kickbacks from DeVos and others and that's why he's fighting so hard to keep every single child here. He loves their torture and his personal profits, probably jacks off at night thinking about all the riches for himself and his pals and harm he's generating.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 05:02 PM

3. I just renewed my membership in the ACLU

The ACLU is doing amazing work

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 05:11 PM

4. Remember that one time?

Back in 2008, when President Obama was cleaning up after President Bush’s mess.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 05:12 PM

5. Renewed my membership every year..............

Reply to this post

Response to turbinetree (Reply #5)

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 08:10 PM

8. Guardian of Liberty

That’s the next stage after making it an annual renewal. Guardian of Liberty is the ACLU designation for monthly contributors. Being an atheist I have no tithing compunction so being a Guardian of Liberty will suffice.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 05:12 PM

6. Remedy that the ACLU should ask the judge...

Stop all deportations, families or not, until all separated families are reunited. IIRC, the judge has asked them for penalties to apply, I believe this is a good remedy.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 9, 2018, 05:18 PM

7. Its nothing less than a massive human rights violation and Trump should be

charged with crimes against humanity for what he has done to these families.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread