HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Georgia's citizen's arres...

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 02:19 PM

Georgia's citizen's arrest overhaul clears first hurdle

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Georgia House panel took the first step toward overhauling a Civil War-era statute Thursday by unanimously passing a bill that would no longer allow Georgians to arrest someone they suspect of committing a crime.

The citizen’s arrest law came under renewed scrutiny after it was cited by a prosecutor last year to justify not charging the white men involved in the shooting death of a Black man near Brunswick. In his State of the State address in January, Gov. Brian Kemp announced he would work to overhaul the statute, saying it was an “antiquated law that is ripe for abuse and enables sinister, evil motives.”

House Bill 479 would repeal citizen’s arrest from state law while still allowing employees at businesses, security officers, private investigators and inspectors at truck scales to detain someone they believe has committed a crime. The bill also would allow law enforcement officers to make arrests outside their jurisdictions.

House Judiciary Chairman Chuck Efstration said it was important that Georgia be the first state in the country to remove citizen’s arrest from the state’s law.

Read more: https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgias-citizens-arrest-overhaul-clears-first-hurdle/SJGOCKTI6NHATAPRUTXPDL6FFM/

5 replies, 1022 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Georgia's citizen's arrest overhaul clears first hurdle (Original post)
Calista241 Mar 2021 OP
Initech Mar 2021 #1
OldBaldy1701E Mar 2021 #5
oldsoftie Mar 2021 #2
Calista241 Mar 2021 #3
oldsoftie Mar 2021 #4

Response to Calista241 (Original post)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 03:09 PM

1. Seriously, what could go wrong there?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Initech (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 08:09 AM

5. One has to wonder

Is this an attempt by the rethugs to fix things so they cannot be held accountable for their civilian actions?

Reply to this post

Response to Calista241 (Original post)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 06:38 PM

2. it was alwasy a vague law. I dont see it having any problems passing fully.

And I think Kemp would sign it

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 09:46 PM

3. He actually called for the law to be passed. I can't see him vetoing a law he asked for.

Reply to this post

Response to Calista241 (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 10:25 PM

4. In that case, definitely!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread