HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Republicans block debate ...

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:04 PM

Republicans block debate on infrastructure bill, but final deal could solidify within days

Source: Washington Post

Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked debate on a bipartisan infrastructure package of roughly $1 trillion that makes up a major component of President Biden’s economic agenda but has yet to be finalized, dealing a temporary setback as senators scramble to finish the deal by next week.

The vote does not doom the broader effort to invest in the nation’s roads, bridges, pipes, ports and Internet connections, and officials directly involved with the negotiations grew more optimistic by the hour on Wednesday that a broader legislative package could be completed in the coming days.

“In my view, we’ll have the agreement completed over the weekend,” said Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), a key member of the bipartisan group of senators hammering out the deal.

It was clear from the outset that Wednesday’s vote would fail. But Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) pressed ahead, hoping to signal to the bipartisan group that time was not unlimited as Democratic leaders scrambled to placate liberals already impatient with the slow pace of the Senate talks.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/infrastructure-schumer-gop/2021/07/21/0812be02-ea34-11eb-8950-d73b3e93ff7f_story.html

That's Republican bipartisanship for ya.

7 replies, 1095 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republicans block debate on infrastructure bill, but final deal could solidify within days (Original post)
Zorro Wednesday OP
Walleye Wednesday #1
leftieNanner Wednesday #2
moose65 Wednesday #3
ffr Thursday #4
monkeyman1 Thursday #5
Champp Thursday #6
Hotler Thursday #7

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:09 PM

1. Republicans must be exhausted from doing nothing all day

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:12 PM

2. Stall and Delay

Rinse and Repeat.

The goal is to reduce or eliminate any progress for Biden and the Dems. That's it. Do not permit anything to be accomplished.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 09:04 PM

3. This makes no sense to me

They voted to block debate because the bill “isn’t finished yet.” Isn’t that what debate is for?

Geez. These stupid theatrics that they engage in make my blood boil.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 01:10 AM

4. Fuck the QOP! Get it done!

We have your back, Democrats!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 03:33 AM

5. we don't need the damn republican's - get 'r done !! dump c-19 infection party !!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 06:52 AM

6. Republicans against America

Did the Russians tell them to block America's progress? Or did they figure out their sick strategery all on their own?

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 08:44 AM

7. Stop reaching across the fucking isle. Stop showing repugs political courtesy.

I would start holding votes on bills at 3:00AM just to piss them off.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread