HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Trump's Remarks at Presen...

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 10:18 AM

Trump's Remarks at Presentation of the Medal of Freedom to Edwin Meese: October 8, 2019

REMARKS

Remarks by President Trump at Presentation of the Medal of Freedom to Edwin Meese
Issued on: October 8, 2019

Oval Office

4:47 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. And I want to thank everybody for being here. This is a very special event. Today, itís my tremendous privilege to present our nationís highest civilian honor to a absolute titan of American law and a heroic defender of the American Constitution: former Counselor to the President and Attorney General of the United States, Ed Meese. Very special man. (Applause.)

Ed, congratulations on receiving a really incredible award. This is something that ó we have the Congressional Medal of Honor and we have the Presidential Medal of Freedom. And this is something thatís very special for me to present it to you. Iíve heard so many incredible things over the years about you. So, congratulations. Itís my honor to be with you.

Weíre delighted to be joined by Vice President Mike Pence; Attorney General William Barr ó Bill; Acting OMB Director Russ Vought; and Heritage Foundation President Kay Cole James. Hi, Kay. Also ó he did a good job, didnít he? (Laughter.) Huh?

{snip}

He then became Deputy District Attorney of Alameda County, California, the same county where he had grown up. He regularly rode with local police on patrol. One officer later said about Ed, ďFinding someone around here who doesnít like Ed Meese is like trying to find a four-year-old who doesnít like Santa Claus.Ē (Laughter.) So, in other words, he was a popular guy.

When chaos and violence broke out on the campus of UC Berkeley, Ed was instrumental in restoring order, peace, and public safety.

{snip}

Over the next three years, Ed would deliver monumental change for the American people. As Attorney General, Ed led the battle against drugs. He aggressively targeted traffickers and their assets. He also chaired the National Drug Policy Board and coordinated the administrationís response to the drug crisis.

In the years that followed, the strategy proved successful. Between 1982 and 1992, drug use by young adults plummeted by 50 percent nationwide. Would you like to make a comeback? Thatís a pretty good number. (Laughter.) You know, weíve got it down 18 percent, but I like 50 percent better. But weíre dealing with a whole new set of drugs, unfortunately. Itís getting ó itís a very tough situation.

Perhaps Edís greatest contribution to American law has been his unwavering advocacy for the legal principle that judges must adhere to the original meaning of the Constitution, setting aside their own personal and political views.

Through the decades, Ed has been one of the most eloquent champions for following the Constitution as written. To ensure fidelity to our founding documents, Ed supported the growth of the Federalist Society and worked to confirm supremely qualified judges, including the late, great Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, whose son just became the Secretary ó you know that ó Secretary of Labor. Gene. Just had him in, and it was a great ceremony we had.

After concluding a historic tenure as Attorney General, Ed joined the Heritage Foundation. Over his 30 years at Heritage, he helped create the Foundationís Legal and Judicial Studies Department, which is now named in his honor. And weíre talking about judges. And I will say, Heritage has been very helpful with us also, as you know. And I just had, on that desk, a little while ago, another six. And weíll be up to, very soon, about 182 federal judges and 2 Supreme Court judges. Thatís not including two Supreme Court. So we really ó (applause) ó we really have made tremendous strides. Itís a number that few people have been able to even come close to. So, itís great. And we appreciate all the work youíve done, too, Kay.

10 replies, 893 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump's Remarks at Presentation of the Medal of Freedom to Edwin Meese: October 8, 2019 (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Oct 9 OP
CurtEastPoint Oct 9 #1
calimary Oct 9 #2
2naSalit Oct 9 #3
eppur_se_muova Oct 9 #4
Odoreida Oct 9 #5
mahatmakanejeeves Oct 9 #7
malthaussen Oct 9 #6
SharonAnn Oct 9 #8
amb123 Oct 10 #9
Paladin Oct 10 #10

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 10:24 AM

1. fucking Heritage Foundation...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 10:28 AM

2. So he's now crapped on that prestigious medal.

What WONíT he destroy?

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 10:47 AM

3. Only himself...

except he doesn't realize that he is destroying that as well.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 10:56 AM

4. That's "disgraced criminal Edwin Meese", please. nt

Reply to this post

Response to eppur_se_muova (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 11:53 AM

5. Ed Meese. A name I expected never to hear again.

Reagan's hatchet man as I recall.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 12:22 PM

6. His next move will be to present the MoH to William Calley. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 05:54 PM

8. Is G. Gordon Liddy next?

Reply to this post

Response to SharonAnn (Reply #8)

Thu Oct 10, 2019, 12:46 AM

9. George Lincoln Rockwell?

Lester Maddox?
George Wallace?
David Duke?
Fritz Kuhn? (German-American Bund)

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 10, 2019, 10:47 AM

10. I just cleaned up some dog turds that are more worthy of the award than Meese.

I want trump gone. By any means necessary. Preferably by this afternoon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread