HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Studies Offer New Evidenc...

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 07:57 AM

Studies Offer New Evidence for Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 Susceptibility and ...

Studies Offer New Evidence for Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 Susceptibility and Severity

Individuals with blood type O may have lowest risk of infection; individuals with A and AB may have increased risk of severe clinical outcomes

https://www.hematology.org/newsroom/press-releases/2020/possible-link-between-blood-type-and-covid-19

Two studies published today in Blood Advances suggest people with blood type O may have a lower risk of COVID-19 infection and reduced likelihood of severe outcomes, including organ complications, if they do get sick.

As the pandemic continues, the global biomedical research community is working urgently to identify coronavirus risk factors and potential therapeutic targets. The potential role of blood type in predicting risk and complications of COVID-19 infection has emerged as an important scientific question. These new studies add evidence that there may be an association between blood type and vulnerability to COVID-19; however, additional research is needed to better understand why and what it means for patients.

Blood type O may offer some protection against COVID-19 infection, according to a retrospective study. Researchers compared Danish health registry data from more than 473,000 individuals tested for COVID-19 to data from a control group of more than 2.2 million people from the general population. Among the COVID-19 positive, they found fewer people with blood type O and more people with A, B, and AB types.

The study results suggest that people with blood types A, B, or AB may be more likely to be infected with COVID-19 than people with type O. The researchers did not find any significant difference in rate of infection between A, B, and AB types. Since blood group distributions vary among ethnic subgroups, the researchers also controlled for ethnicity and maintained that fewer people with blood type O tested positive for the virus.

2 replies, 666 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Studies Offer New Evidence for Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 Susceptibility and ... (Original post)
ItsjustMe Oct 15 OP
katmondoo Oct 15 #1
lapfog_1 Oct 15 #2

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 08:02 AM

1. I am A negative. scares me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 08:04 AM

2. I am type O

and I was diagnosed positive almost 3 weeks ago (test was 3 weeks ago).

I had very mild symptoms... fever, head ache, fatigue, runny nose, sore throat, slight cough, some body aches.

I have been mega-dosing on Vitamin D since the pandemic started (3000 IU a day) plus wearing a mask and isolating as much as possible. And zinc, vitamin C.

Dr. Fauci is taking (according to reports) 6000 IU of vitamin D every day.

I go back for another test on Friday.

So far, the major issue is fatigue. That is still with me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread