HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » How Will I Ever Look at A...

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 08:46 AM

How Will I Ever Look at America the Same Way Again?

By Frank Bruni

Itís always assumed that those of us who felt certain of Hillary Clintonís victory in 2016 were putting too much trust in polls.

I was putting too much trust in Americans.

Iíd seen us err. Iíd watched us stray. Still I didnít think that enough of us would indulge a would-be leader as proudly hateful, patently fraudulent and flamboyantly dishonest as Donald Trump.

We had episodes of ugliness, but this? No way. We were better than Trump.

Except, it turned out, we werenít.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/opinion/trump-supporters-america.html

2 replies, 703 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Will I Ever Look at America the Same Way Again? (Original post)
Zorro Oct 2020 OP
NRaleighLiberal Oct 2020 #1
marie999 Oct 2020 #2

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 08:54 AM

1. NONE of these types of Op Eds seem to recognize how decades of hate radio and TV helped

form the cult. Trump is an outcome, not a root cause.

David Brooks, so many other Op Ed writers are now disavowing that which they helped cultivate.
This is the DU member formerly known as NRaleighLiberal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 10:21 AM

2. Even with Biden in the WH I fear that the pendulum will continue moving to the dark side.

More and more people are going to stop wearing masks because they are tired of the virus. No matter what President Biden and a Democratic Congress does to stop it, climate change will continue to get worse because not all nations will do enough. Netflix has a documentary called Brave Blue World about our water shortage and what individuals and communities are doing to recycle water but not enough people will do what needs to be done. Can you tell I have a very low opinion of Homo Sapiens?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread