HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Pic Of The Moment: It's W...

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 10:06 AM

Pic Of The Moment: It's War! Republicans Battle Republicans Over Government Shutdown

Rubio Pushing Gov't Shutdown To Stop Obamacare

Senate GOPer calls shutdown threat 'the dumbest idea I've ever heard'

26 replies, 5624 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pic Of The Moment: It's War! Republicans Battle Republicans Over Government Shutdown (Original post)
EarlG Jul 2013 OP
Hayduke Bomgarte Jul 2013 #1
mindwalker_i Jul 2013 #3
mwooldri Jul 2013 #2
Shrike47 Jul 2013 #4
AtheistCrusader Jul 2013 #5
DainBramaged Jul 2013 #6
lark Jul 2013 #7
AsahinaKimi Jul 2013 #8
Liberalynn Jul 2013 #11
LongTomH Jul 2013 #19
NewJeffCT Jul 2013 #20
Rebellious Republican Jul 2013 #9
workinclasszero Jul 2013 #10
Iliyah Jul 2013 #12
Plucketeer Jul 2013 #15
TRoN33 Jul 2013 #13
SoapBox Jul 2013 #14
totodeinhere Jul 2013 #16
Iliyah Jul 2013 #18
Helen Borg Jul 2013 #17
BlueManFan Jul 2013 #21
BlueJazz Jul 2013 #22
The Wizard Jul 2013 #23
Curmudgeoness Jul 2013 #24
quakerboy Jul 2013 #25
Cha Jul 2013 #26

Response to EarlG (Original post)

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 AM

1. Blisteringly stupid

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hayduke Bomgarte (Reply #1)

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:14 AM

3. It's like the Republican party is an alternate sun in the sky

But instead of shining warm, light-giving light, it shines down rays stupidity that give the world third-degree burns.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 10:58 AM

2. My gosh! Senator Burr is right for once! n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:29 AM

4. 'blisteringly stupid'. I like it.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:29 AM

5. Oh good grief, THIS soap opera again, already?

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:33 AM

6. Arrest them for treason, send them to Gitmo

That should wake these assholes up.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:37 AM

7. It's the total crazies vs. the world

There are a few (astonishingly few) Republicans that aren't traitors to every one other than the 1%. Any non-totally batshit person would know that this was the stupidest thing they could do and come out strongly against it. Unfortunately, the House is full of batshits and the Senate too has way too many, so this doesn't look good. Damn, the recovery hardly has shown up in No. FL. and now they are making it worse again - Oh how I loathe them!!

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:43 AM

8. I truely believe that

the Republican's think their roll is to bring down this country, and than rebuild it in their selfish image. They might even bring back slave labor, as well as create a ruling upper class, with the rest of us to fend for ourselves. Its probably going to be a Theocracy too because many Republicans believe the United States should be a Christian Nation, and that it will allow them to convert everyone or else. What a sad and sorry state that will be.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #8)

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:09 PM

11. The thing is I would bet over half of the Congress members

who spout the religious stuff don't actually believe in it. I think their hypocrites and tell their "devoted followers" that they are on the "side of Jesus" just to get their votes.

Don't think any of them have a clue as to what Christ is reported to have actually stood for.

Sad really that too many believe them, at least enough to let them get away with it.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

19. This bunch of crazies are going after the 'non-discretionary' side of the budget.

There was an interview with Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK) on NPR's all things considered yesterday (God! I'm glad I left Oklahoma! ). He said it's not enough to find savings in the discretionary side of the budget - items that have to be voted on in Congress yearly (education, SNAP, etc). He (and I assume his caucus) want to go after non-discretionary items; he specifically mentioned: Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid as items he wants deep cuts in.

So, after the poor, elderly and (non-rich) sick have died off, the mega-rich will simply fly over the destruction in their private jets, sipping champagne!

Guillotine, anyone?

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 01:01 PM

20. well, looking back at our history

when the economy tanks, it's usually the president that gets blamed... republicans know that, so know that even if they cause the tanking, Obama will get most of the blame.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:43 AM

9. Well, I guess that means GRIDLOCK and the party of NO...

still wins. Nothing will happen, nothing, nothing at all will happen! Either way!

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:55 AM

10. The damn republicans harm this country and its citizens more than terrorists do!

They are all neo confederate traitors/economic terrorists/religious terrorists and corporate fascist bastards!

The whole damned party ought to be slapped in a gitmo at the end of the world someplace!

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:14 PM

12. Majority of the gopers want to shut down the government

but better yet destroy the government so their corporation buddies can step in and privatize everything, taking away most civil rights but their misinformed base thinks its "smaller" government.

These assholes need to voted out!

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #12)

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:33 PM

15. HEY!

Maybe "DC" is codespeak for Detroit City. Hell, the lobbyists already write all the "legislation". They just need the stamp of approval of our "Reps" to make it law.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:15 PM

13. Its 110% Universal impossible

for Marc Rubio to be President of this country. As of right now, everybody are well aware of his anti-American agenda and aren't going to allow him to pack his stuffs into the White House and replace U.S.A. flag with Tea Party's numb-looking 'Don't Tread On Me' flag.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:23 PM

14. Kicked

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:40 PM

16. Disagreement among members of one political party is nothing new. But usually it's

the Democrats who are fighting among themselves. Look at DU. Sometimes we get into some pretty serious disagreements here.

Reply to this post

Response to totodeinhere (Reply #16)

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

18. Not so much for gopers of lately tho

their masters want to keep them "lock n step" which in their eyes is better for control purposes, sorta like a dictatorship. One thing about the Democratic Party, we are usually independent in mind and spirit and mostly agree on things but won't stop expressing opinons and beliefs be it pro and con on issues which in my opinion is what a democracy looks like.

So when you have gop dissent from "what the corporate masters" want, Houston you have a problem.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 12:41 PM

17. Good cop/bad cop strategy?

Just wondering.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 02:23 PM

21. Mint the Goddamn Trillion Dollar Coin And Then

shove it down Boehner's throat.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 03:10 PM

22. Marco Rubio:The poster man for "Guys who think they're smart but are slightly smarter than a towel"

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 03:53 PM

23. All the wannabe candidates for president

are trying to be as stupid and on the fringe as possible to get the teabagger support. The Republican Party is under the control of radical extremists that normal people won't support.
We don't need a suicidal death cult on any level of government.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 05:04 PM

24. And now, for a moment of sanity.

I am grateful that there are a few Republicans who care about this country, at least a little.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #24)

Fri Jul 26, 2013, 07:31 PM

25. Thats an aweful big and unjustified assumption

I seriously doubt Burr, Blunt, or Cole give a rats rear about this country, even a little, except purely insofar as it may effect them personally, or their particular agenda.

"And it is the sort of thing that creates a backlash and could cost the Republicans the majority in the House."

That's the quote. That's the why they would break with their party and call it stupid. Has nothing to do caring about whether it hurts the country or damages the world economy. Its about their own electoral chances.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 27, 2013, 01:18 AM

26. Steve Benen does a good job with this, EarlG.. 2nd link..

The divisions matter for a couple of reasons. First, unlike many recent fights in which GOP lawmakers march in lock-step, if the party isn't unified behind their own government-shutdown strategy, it's simply not going to happen. For Republicans, it's been difficult enough to sustain party unity on routine, everyday issues -- to pull off this kind of hostage/extortion strategy when the GOP is already splintering is impossible.

Second, if this plan implodes, and I suspect it will, it's going to make Sens. Rubio, Ted Cruz (R-Texas), and Mike Lee (R-Utah) -- the ringleaders of the gambit -- look awfully foolish. They pushed a ridiculous idea, got the base all worked up, received assistance from prominent right-wing activist groups, and even had Rush Limbaugh rallying support for the cause.

If, after all of this, the scheme falls apart, and even gets mocked by their own allies, it will reinforce the impression that these far-right senators are inept show-horses who aren't serious about governing and can't even execute their own bad ideas.

This should have 500 Recs.. I'm happy to be the 50th!

Mahalo for the Killer Graphic.. may rubio, cruz, and lee.. go down in a vapor of dust(metaphorically speaking).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread