Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search
6 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
In Aruba with tickets to fly out in 2 weeks. Thinking of getting out ASAP, anybody else away from (Original Post) dem4decades Mar 2020 OP
I would... hlthe2b Mar 2020 #1
Yeah I got 2 hours of sleep last night worrying. My dogs are back home sleeping contently with my dem4decades Mar 2020 #3
sitting in Florida in our RV and debating leaving a month earlier beachbumbob Mar 2020 #2
I was just on Bonaire. mnhtnbb Mar 2020 #4
Ahhhh Bonaire... mainer Mar 2020 #5
Ships are still stopping at Bonaire per regular schedule. mnhtnbb Mar 2020 #6


(102,009 posts)
1. I would...
Thu Mar 12, 2020, 08:27 AM
Mar 2020

If I'm going to be sick, I want to be home and with my dog nearby and well cared for and able to reach out to friends/family without difficulty. Otherwise that is just increasing stress.


(11,261 posts)
3. Yeah I got 2 hours of sleep last night worrying. My dogs are back home sleeping contently with my
Thu Mar 12, 2020, 09:10 AM
Mar 2020

Sister in law


(31,356 posts)
4. I was just on Bonaire.
Thu Mar 12, 2020, 09:41 AM
Mar 2020

Left Raleigh on March 2nd with trip planned for 2 weeks.

My son and his partner were due to join me for 1 week and last Saturday--the day they were to fly--canceled. Got all the way to the airport at 4 am and my son's partner--who has a fear of flying anyway--couldn't check his bag. I think fear of coronavirus put him over the edge.

Then I was getting messages from the pet sitter that my elderly dog was starting to have some problems. So I decided to just bite the bullet and come home a week early on March 9th. If it weren't for the dog, I would have stayed--and maybe even extended my trip for another month.

When I got home, it turned out the dog had probably eaten some grass which gave her intestinal troubles. She appears to be fine.

There are only 3 flights/week on American from Bonaire to Miami, and I was concerned they could cancel all of them, or reduce them to the point I'd be packed in like a sardine. Then, there was the question of the same thing happening with my connecting flight home from Miami. I refuse to sit in a middle coach seat with a couple of people coughing on either side of me. It's happened before.

It probably depends on your ability to be away from crowds in Aruba and whether you have the ability to ride out an extra month there just in case the airlines cancel flights.

Bummer, isn't it? I'd been looking forward to this birthday trip for 10 months. That's how long ago I booked it!


(12,015 posts)
5. Ahhhh Bonaire...
Thu Mar 12, 2020, 01:14 PM
Mar 2020

I spent the whole month of January there. It must be getting hit hard economically with the cruise ship cancellations. But if you're going to get critically sick, Bonaire is probably not where you want to be.

Latest Discussions»The DU Lounge»In Aruba with tickets to ...