HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Music Appreciation (Group) » Leslie Bricusse, 'Willy W...

Tue Oct 19, 2021, 10:10 PM

Leslie Bricusse, 'Willy Wonka,' 'Goldfinger' songwriter, dies at 90

Leslie Bricusse, Oscar- and Grammy-winning songwriter whose songs for Broadway and Hollywood include “What Kind of Fool Am I?” and “Pure Imagination,” died Tuesday in Saint-Paul-de-Vence, France. He was 90.

Bricusse wrote the lyrics for James Bond theme songs “Goldfinger” and “You Only Live Twice,” as well as songs for movies including “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” (including “The Candy Man”), “Scrooge,” “Hook,” “Doctor Dolittle” and “Superman.”

Over seven decades, the London-born writer-composer was in demand for his clever, witty and tuneful songs, sometimes in collaboration with others (notably Anthony Newley in London, Henry Mancini and John Williams in Los Angeles) and sometimes serving as both lyricist and composer.

At: https://variety.com/2021/music/news/leslie-bricusse-dead-willy-wonka-goldfinger-1235092734/

Songwriter Leslie Bricusse, 1931-2021: Pure imagination

2 replies, 305 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Leslie Bricusse, 'Willy Wonka,' 'Goldfinger' songwriter, dies at 90 (Original post)
peppertree Oct 2021 OP
msongs Oct 2021 #1
elleng Oct 2021 #2

Response to peppertree (Original post)

Tue Oct 19, 2021, 10:46 PM

1. sammy davis jr famously hated the candy man, his biggest hit and only #1

even tho it was a huge boost to his live performance career at the time

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to peppertree (Original post)

Tue Oct 19, 2021, 10:57 PM

2. What kind of fool am I?