HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arizona (Group) » Prosecutor: Arpaio gave u...

Sun Apr 28, 2019, 05:12 AM

Prosecutor: Arpaio gave up right to appeal by accepting Trump pardon

PHOENIX A special prosecutor appointed to defend a ruling that refused to erase former Sheriff Joe Arpaio's criminal record says the lawman gave up his right to appeal his contempt of court conviction when he accepted a pardon from President Donald Trump.

Christopher Caldwell said in a filing Monday with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that pardons moot any punishments that a person convicted of a crime might face, but they don't erase judgments made by courts in those cases.

If Arpaio wanted to challenge his misdemeanor conviction for disobeying a 2011 court order to stop his immigration patrols, then he should have rejected the pardon and taken his chances in an appeals court, Caldwell wrote.

"This appeal is Arpaio's last move to avoid being held accountable even just on paper for repeatedly violating Maricopa County residents' civil rights and willfully (and publicly) defying judicial attempts to protect them," Caldwell wrote. "This court should not indulge Arpaio's desire to operate above the law by vacating the order confirming that he broke it."

Read more: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2019/04/24/joe-arpaio-gave-up-right-appeal-when-he-accepted-trumps-pardon/3567847002/

5 replies, 1021 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Prosecutor: Arpaio gave up right to appeal by accepting Trump pardon (Original post)
TexasTowelie Apr 2019 OP
True Blue American Apr 2019 #1
TexasTowelie Apr 2019 #2
ArizonaLib Apr 2019 #5
Vinnie From Indy Apr 2019 #3
3Hotdogs Apr 2019 #4

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Apr 28, 2019, 05:20 AM

1. To be honest

I think the Comedian was out of bounds making fun of Sanders smokie eyes and lies! She did not need to say that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to True Blue American (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 28, 2019, 05:35 AM

2. Are you on the correct thread?

I don't know what Sarah H. Sanders has to do with this article.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 28, 2019, 08:44 AM

5. I would report this to DU administrators

TTowelie, this looks like the result of hack or someone or a group making it look hacked. Either way, I would assume the DU techies want the information from the posts for tracking.

PS Thanks for your posts - good work!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 28, 2019, 06:52 AM

3. I prefer to use creamed corn in the corn bread recipe.

So much better!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 28, 2019, 08:09 AM

4. I like Taylor Ham better than Trenton Pork Roll.

I'm from New Jersey so I should know. I didn't just move here from Brooklyn.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread