HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Connecticut (Group) » Do we have wolves in CT?

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:20 PM

Do we have wolves in CT?

I've been staying up in the woods northeastern CT -- we have a yurt -- and I'm used to hearing coyotes and owls and various critters. But I just heard some pretty serious howling that was not the sound of a coyote pack. A single howl, low and long, repeated a few times.

Hmm...no walks in the woods tonight!

8 replies, 21350 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Do we have wolves in CT? (Original post)
Atman Aug 2013 OP
Squinch Aug 2013 #1
leveymg Aug 2013 #2
Scootaloo Aug 2013 #3
Atman Aug 2013 #4
2naSalit Aug 2013 #5
Denis 11 Sep 2013 #6
Atman Sep 2013 #7
NewJeffCT Nov 2013 #8

Response to Atman (Original post)

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:25 PM

1. And that red hooded cape you are so fond of wearing should probably be saved for city outings.

But yes, I think there are wolves in CT now. Last weekend I was in CT and saw a fox that was as big as a Labrador, too.

(OK, maybe I exaggerate, but it was BIG!)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:27 PM

2. Time to get a bigger dog.

The red fox we came nose-to-nose with a couple weeks ago in the Northern Virginia suburbs was nearly as big as my mixed hound. The fox took off, but it wasn't entirely clear for a second who was going to be the first to run.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:31 PM

3. It could be dogs or coyotes

Dogs give single-call howls, and coyotes do it on occasion as well. I suppose it'd be easier to tell if I could hear the pitch and timbre.

if it IS a wolf - and it's not impossible - then it's probably just one lonely one. They usually howl in cadence with one another.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:46 PM

4. Doubtful it's a dog.

I've spent many a night here in past 17 years. No dogs, lots of coyotes. The coyotes usually start howling in one pack, and it's high-pitched. Then the other coyotes with "answer" them from another part of the woods. This was totally different. As I said, long and low. It was awesome.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:29 AM

5. Wolves in CT

are not very likely but not impossible. If there was one it's likely a wanderer. And you don't need to be afraid of it, so go walk in the woods, it won't get you (it's most likely more afraid of you that you of it and wolves usually avoid humans at least out here they do).

But it is also very highly possible that it was a wandering dog that might be lost... after a time they become feral and take to howling looking for others.

There haven't been any documented sightings of wolves in that area, might be a refuge one got away from but...

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 9, 2013, 10:25 AM

6. It may have been a fisher cat

They are a type of weasel found in Connecticut.[link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)|

Reply to this post

Response to Denis 11 (Reply #6)

Mon Sep 9, 2013, 06:21 PM

7. Fisher cats are scary sounding!

I've never heard them howl...they sound like a baby screaming. It's a terrifying sound in the middle of the night!

Reply to this post

Response to Atman (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:27 AM

8. they're supposed to be pretty nasty

and are responsible for a good amount of cat disappearances.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread