HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Kansas (Group) » KU professor told student...

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 11:29 AM

KU professor told student to 'learn English,' reports say. He's suspended from class

An engineering professor at the University of Kansas has been suspended from teaching a class after he reportedly told a student who was using a translator to “learn English,” according to the Lawrence Journal-World.

The professor, Gary Minden, told the Journal-World and the The University Daily Kansan he made the comment recently at the start of class after he saw a student using a translator on their cellphone.

Minden is a professor of electrical engineering and computer science, according to the university’s website.

The course he was teaching at the time of the remark was on embedded systems, The Kansan reported. A syllabus posted online says students are prohibited from using electronic devices during the class.

Read more: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/education/article227269994.html

3 replies, 1159 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply KU professor told student to 'learn English,' reports say. He's suspended from class (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2019 OP
Maxheader Mar 2019 #1
ROB-ROX Mar 2019 #2
aka-chmeee Mar 2019 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 02:09 PM

1. A blight on the liberal tradition of the mighty KU campus.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 02:20 PM

2. THIS IS RETARDED

How do you take an electrical - computer class without using electrical devices?? Planned failure in a "conservative" state which suppresses education......I am so glad I did not have my education back EAST. The west coast rules, Nor Cal Forever!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 04:32 PM

3. I don't think I have enough energy to generate any outrage over this.

Always found it reasonable to expect rules to be followed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread