HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Louisiana (Group) » Most Louisiana parishes i...

Tue Jun 30, 2015, 02:52 AM

Most Louisiana parishes issued marriage licenses to same-sex couples Monday, group says

As soon as Tuesday, it appears same-sex couples across Louisiana will be able to get a marriage license -- so long as they can pay the fee and assemble the records they need to finish their application.

On Friday, Louisiana was the only state in the country where not one same-sex couple received a marriage license following the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling that overturned state bans on gay marriage.

By Monday afternoon, couples in at least 35 of the state's 64 parishes had walked out of a courthouse with a marriage license in hand, according to Forum for Equality, the state's largest gay rights organization.

"It was really something to see over the course of the day," said Chris Otten, chairman of the Forum for Equality. "All over the state, the clerks were falling like dominoes."

Read more: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/at_least_35_of_64_louisiana_pa.html#incart_2box_

1 replies, 911 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Most Louisiana parishes issued marriage licenses to same-sex couples Monday, group says (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2015 OP
bluestateguy Jun 2015 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Jun 30, 2015, 04:03 AM

1. Call me naive

But I'd like to think that most clerks enjoy their jobs, and observing the joy in a loving couple starting their married lives together.

Yes, there are a few mean, homophobic and nasty clerks, but they seem to be the minority.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread