HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Maryland (Group) » Judicial watch now after ...

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 11:05 AM

Judicial watch now after Montgomery County (MD) voter rolls

. . .but Common Cause,the Maryland AG, and Maryland state board of elections will hopefully resist. (At least they're raising "concerns," and, believe me, I'm concerned.)

https://wamu.org/story/19/08/15/judge-grants-conservative-watchdog-access-to-montgomery-countys-voter-list/

A Maryland judge has ordered the state board of elections to turn over Montgomery County voter lists to a conservative watchdog organization. Last week, District Court Judge Ellen Lipton Hollander partially granted the nonprofit Judicial Watch’s request for the county’s voter list. Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh and the state board of elections have until next week to respond to the request, or appeal. In 2017, the organization discovered that there were more registered voters than residents above the age of 18 in the county, and sued the state board of elections for the voter rolls.. . . According to court documents, Hollander granted the organization access to voters’ names, home addresses, most recent voter activity, and active or inactive status. But Hollander did not allow the group access to the birth dates.

Joanne Antoine, executive director of Common Cause Maryland, an Annapolis-based watchdog organization, called the judge’s decision concerning. “While voter registration information is made public during the electoral process, we now have a security concern by handing over information to an organization that is focused on purging the voter roll,” she said. Frosh also says he has concerns about voter privacy and data being made available to an organization. The attorney general’s office has until next week to turn over the items ordered by the judge or appeal to stall the judge’s decision.
. . .
Antoine is encouraging county residents to double check their registration and to reach out the Maryland Board of Elections with any questions and concerns.

The amount of energy that the far right has devoted to voter suppression is just jaw-dropping, and both their actions, and the clear rationale behind those actions (judicial watch's claims of "non partisan" motivation are preposterous, at best), are symptomatic of pretty much everything that's pathological about the Republican party these days.

10 replies, 684 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judicial watch now after Montgomery County (MD) voter rolls (Original post)
MBS Aug 2019 OP
Historic NY Aug 2019 #1
MBS Aug 2019 #5
zaj Aug 2019 #2
MBS Aug 2019 #8
zaj Aug 2019 #9
MBS Aug 2019 #10
elleng Aug 2019 #3
Fullduplexxx Aug 2019 #6
elleng Aug 2019 #7
bronxiteforever Aug 2019 #4

Response to MBS (Original post)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 11:09 AM

1. Judicial jerkoffs....

its time to go after them, long overdo.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

2. It's authoritarian, not pathological... #wordsmatter

Reply to this post

Response to zaj (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 12:17 PM

8. Sure, but IMO, it's precisely the authoritarianism that's pathological.

. . especially when they shamelessly mischaracterize their authoritarian (that is, anti-constitutional, fundamentally anti-American) actions and priorities as "fair," "democratic," and "patriotic." Orwellian distortion of the founding principles of our country.
As you said, words matter.

Reply to this post

Response to MBS (Reply #8)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 12:24 PM

9. It's not mental illness (which is an excuse)...

It's a strategic plan to seize the levers of power in the face of losing a cultural battle for the first time in 2000+ years to a democraphic wave and a technical transformation.

Reply to this post

Response to zaj (Reply #9)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 12:52 PM

10. I agree that it's a deliberate strategy. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 11:15 AM

3. CUTE! I'm registered there, live there 'officially,'

but only actually reside there occasionally, as I rent a house on a river in southern MD! Let them come after me!!!

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 12:11 PM

6. That's the kind of stuff they will find and this will quietly go away

Reply to this post

Response to Fullduplexxx (Reply #6)

Sun Aug 18, 2019, 12:16 PM

7. I expect you're right,

IF it goes so far.

They'll love my river-side home!!!