HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Minnesota (Group) » Wait, a bunch of DFLers j...

Mon Apr 1, 2019, 12:29 PM

Wait, a bunch of DFLers just voted to exempt some of Minnesota's lowest-paid workers from the

Wait, a bunch of DFLers just voted to exempt some of Minnesota’s lowest-paid workers from the minimum wage?

Well, that was awkward.

On Thursday, a DFL-controlled committee passed a bill sponsored by the DFL chair of the House Jobs and Economic Development subcommittee and the House Labor Committee to exempt some of the lowest-paid workers in the state from minimum wage law and overtime laws.

These workers earn as little as $1,700 a month for just four months a year, yet their employer requested an exemption from laws that would pay them barely $10 an hour. The committee approved the exemption over the objections of the president of the state’s largest labor organization.

So who are these workers?

They are the 22 athletes who suit up for the St. Paul Saints, the minor league baseball team that plays home games at the heavily public subsidized CHS Field, 1.2 miles away from the state Capitol.

Read more: https://www.minnpost.com/state-government/2019/03/wait-a-bunch-of-dflers-just-voted-to-exempt-some-of-minnesotas-lowest-paid-workers-from-the-minimum-wage/

4 replies, 1401 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wait, a bunch of DFLers just voted to exempt some of Minnesota's lowest-paid workers from the (Original post)
TexasTowelie Apr 2019 OP
CurtEastPoint Apr 2019 #1
abqtommy Apr 2019 #2
CurtEastPoint Apr 2019 #3
dflprincess Apr 2019 #4

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Apr 1, 2019, 01:54 PM

1. DFL?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Apr 1, 2019, 02:15 PM

2. DFL has been awarded

my Acronym Of The Day award. A short search informed me that DFL indicates the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party of Minnesota, which is the state Democratic party of Minnesota. Now that I'm an educated person I can opine on the idiocy of state representative decisions which appear to be a bipartisan effort! (helpful hint: indentifying acronyms at least once in any post will be appreciated by some persons)

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 1, 2019, 04:05 PM

3. Thanks for that!

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 1, 2019, 09:38 PM

4. This was posted in the Minnesota group so I'm sure the poster figured

everyone who might check the article out already knew what "DFL" stands for.

When I first signed up in 2002 I spent a lot of time explaing that part of my user name.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread