HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » New Mexico (Group) » Hundreds gather in Belen,...

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 09:49 AM

Hundreds gather in Belen, NM, to protest governor's restrictions on churches

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Hundreds of churchgoers gathered in Belen Sunday, in part to protest how the state's public health order is impacting churches (being limited to 40 percent capacity).

The crowd grew to about 300 for a demonstration outside Belen City Hall that included speakers and live music. Only a few in the crowd were wearing masks. The event was called Faith Over Fear. The message was, in part, that people are too afraid of COVID-19, and should be able to worship during the pandemic.

Most residents said they are not happy with Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s decision. “I don’t think there should be any restrictions. I think it’s our constitutional right to meet and praise our god,” Anita Hendrix said. Many churchgoers say they're not wearing masks at church and feel safe even when they're singing.

“I think they should allow people to be responsible for their own well-being and make those decisions,” Jim Greer said.

KOB 4 asked attendees what they think about the scientific studies that show that indoor gatherings risk the spread of the virus. Here were some of their responses:
“I think that that’s still a little on the iffy side.”

“It’s been hyped up a lot.”

“It’s just like catching the flu. If you get it, if you’re sick, just stay home.”

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/hundreds-gather-in-belen-to-protest-governors-restrictions-on-churches/5861262/

4 replies, 552 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hundreds gather in Belen, NM, to protest governor's restrictions on churches (Original post)
left-of-center2012 Sep 2020 OP
tanyev Sep 2020 #1
vercetti2021 Sep 2020 #2
Laelth Sep 2020 #3
Cicada Sep 2020 #4

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 09:59 AM

1. Faith over fear. Be sure and let your loved ones know if you want that carved on your headstone.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 10:00 AM

2. Fuck it

Let God sort them out

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 10:29 AM

3. Selfish people--very un-Christian.

Talking about their “rights” with no care for how their actions affect others.

If that’s Christianity, I want no part of it.

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 02:10 PM

4. Thou shall not kill?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread