HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » North Colombia mayor expo...

Sun Aug 2, 2020, 06:19 PM

North Colombia mayor exposes military mass grave after trying to get rid of victim remains


by Adriaan Alsema August 2, 2020

Colombia’s war crimes tribunal ordered a mayor to end illegally exhuming the remains of presumed missing persons from a site locals said was a military mass grave.

The Special Jurisdiction for Peace (JEP) ordered the mayor of El Copey to immediately stop exhuming remains at sites locals claim a controversial army unit buried the remains of more than 100 unidentified people.

Using COVID-19 to get rid of evidence?

Mayor Francisco Meza (Liberal Party) said last week he would exhume sites just outside the town for COVID-19 fatalities, claiming the local cemetery is full and needed space.

Locals, however, have testified these 10 sites were used by the now-defunct Popa Batallion to bury civilians who were falsely claimed to be guerrillas killed in combat.


More:
https://colombiareports.com/north-colombia-mayor-exposes-military-mass-after-trying-to-get-rid-of-victim-remains/

0 replies, 366 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread