HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Downingtown (PA) school r...

Fri Dec 13, 2013, 02:37 PM

Downingtown (PA) school ranks first in state performance scores

Downingtown STEM High School is the top-scoring public high school on the state's new School Performance Profiles, beating traditional academic powerhouses such as Masterman in Philadelphia and Lower Merion.

Students in the three-year-old magnet school, which focuses on science and technology, scored 100 percent proficiency in algebra I and language arts, and 97.8 percent on biology, in the new state Keystone Exams.

<snip>

The average score for traditional public schools statewide was 77.1. Brick-and-mortar charter schools averaged 66.4 and cyber charters 46.8.

<snip>

I cherry picked the last sentence but it's what stood out to me. Charter schools in PA, from everything I've seen, do not out perform their public counterparts. I must disclose that I graduated from this school district before it split; congrats on the good work to all involved.

Link: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20131213_Downington_school_ranks_first_in_state_perfomance_scores.html

1 replies, 1320 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Downingtown (PA) school ranks first in state performance scores (Original post)
modrepub Dec 2013 OP
NewJeffCT Jan 2014 #1

Response to modrepub (Original post)

Fri Jan 3, 2014, 05:33 PM

1. The performance of this one magnet school

will be touted as proof the whole process works.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread