HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Her son has been suspende...

Thu Jul 24, 2014, 07:10 PM

Her son has been suspended five times. He’s 3.

By Tunette Powell

I received a call from my sons’ school in March telling me that my oldest needed to be picked up early. He had been given a one-day suspension because he had thrown a chair. He did not hit anyone, but he could have, the school officials told me.

JJ was 4 at the time.

I agreed his behavior was inappropriate, but I was shocked that it resulted in a suspension.

For weeks, it seemed as if JJ was on the chopping block. He was suspended two more times, once for throwing another chair and then for spitting on a student who was bothering him at breakfast. Again, these are behaviors I found inappropriate, but I did not agree with suspension.

Still, I kept quiet. I knew my history. I was the bad preschooler.

I was expelled from preschool and went on to serve more suspensions than I can remember. But I do remember my teachers’ disparaging words. I remember being told I was bad and believing it. I remember just how long it took me to believe anything else about myself.

more

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/24/my-son-has-been-suspended-five-times-hes-3/

2 replies, 1805 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Her son has been suspended five times. He’s 3. (Original post)
n2doc Jul 2014 OP
Alittleliberal Jul 2014 #1
Mnemosyne Jul 2014 #2

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Thu Jul 24, 2014, 07:26 PM

1. Great article

Years of insane racism has created this insane idea that black kids that get in trouble are so much more dangerous then any other trouble maker.

I graduated in 2012. When I got caught with herb for the 3rd time they gave me a 2 day suspension. 3 of my black friends, in my 4 years there, were caught with small amounts of weed and booze and were expelled on their third strike. I went to a liberal Quaker school in the Northeast.

It's fucking atrocious

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Thu Jul 24, 2014, 07:26 PM

2. The pre-school to prison pipeline. Argh... nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread