HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Obama Delivers a Defining...

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 11:55 AM

Obama Delivers a Defining Speech on Climate Change

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around to hear it....

By Bill Sweet

The best thing about President Obama's landmark speech about global warming today was that he delivered it in the hot sun, standing in front of a building at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., mopping his brow and upper lip frequently. The subliminal imagery was as trenchant as the words.

The worst thing about the speech was some of the advance work: No national network or cable channel showed the address in its entirety, despite its stated importance, and no complete transcript of the talk was readily available at the White House site or otherwise, before, during or immediately after its delivery.

This was unfortunate, because Obama gave a very fine speech indeed. Although it contained no major surprises, its comprehensiveness and meticulous attention to detail were impressive and even somehow moving. No doubt that is why, when Obama paused toward the end of the talk and said, simply, "That is my plan," the audience of Georgetown students spontaneously jumped to its feet and treated the president to a rousing standing ovation.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/environment/obama-delivers-a-defining-speech-on-climate-change

3 replies, 577 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama Delivers a Defining Speech on Climate Change (Original post)
pscot Jun 2013 OP
wtmusic Jun 2013 #1
pscot Jun 2013 #2
wtmusic Jun 2013 #3

Response to pscot (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:25 PM

1. In the wake of Obama's elegant rhetoric

there is often a complete lack of followup.

I'll believe it when words are actions.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to wtmusic (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:39 PM

2. Why do you suppose that is?

The words suggest that he gets it. How can he get it and not act?

Reply to this post

Response to pscot (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:45 PM

3. pscot, I don't know.

Generally speaking Obama is not a leader, and allows himself to be overly influenced by outside interests.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread