HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Vegetarian, Vegan and Animal Rights (Group) » Why the 'Bloody' Impossib...

Fri Dec 28, 2018, 08:07 AM

Why the 'Bloody' Impossible Burger Faces Another FDA Hurdle

Source: Bloomberg

Why the ‘Bloody’ Impossible Burger Faces Another FDA Hurdle

The regulator wants more information before raw versions appear in your local supermarket. The agency’s approval process is being questioned, too.

By Lydia Mulvany and Deena Shanker
December 26, 2018, 4:00 AM EST

The famous “bloody,” plant-based Impossible Burger is now available at almost 5,000 restaurants in all 50 states. But the very appearance of bloodiness may have presented another regulatory hurdle for the company that makes it, and its effort to get the product into supermarkets.

Impossible Foods, the Silicon Valley-based maker of the eponymous burger, uses genetically modified yeast to mass produce its central ingredient, soy leghemoglobin, or “heme.” It’s heme that gives the Impossible Burger its essential meat-like flavor, the company said. The substance was ready to break out this summer after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, following years of back-and-forth, declined to challenge findings voluntarily presented by the company that the cooked product is “Generally Recognized as Safe,” or GRAS. Such a “no questions” letter means the FDA found the information provided to be sufficient.

Heme is “responsible for the flavor of blood,” Impossible Foods CEO Patrick Brown said in an interview earlier this year. “It catalyzes reactions in your mouth that generate these very potent odor molecules that smell bloody and metallic.”

It’s how the burger looks that’s now at issue, though. An FDA spokesman said heme, which is red in hue, needs to be formally approved as a color additive before individual consumers can purchase the uncooked product.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-26/why-the-bloody-impossible-burger-faces-another-fda-hurdle

11 replies, 982 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why the 'Bloody' Impossible Burger Faces Another FDA Hurdle (Original post)
Eugene Dec 2018 OP
handmade34 Dec 2018 #1
athena Jan 2019 #3
handmade34 Jan 2019 #4
athena Jan 2019 #6
handmade34 Jan 2019 #7
deek Dec 2018 #2
athena Jan 2019 #5
deek Jan 2019 #9
VideoGameVet Jan 2019 #8
mitch96 Feb 2019 #10
Mendocino Feb 2019 #11

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2018, 09:39 AM

1. creepy stuff

I was in a hotel in Orlando last week and ordered a "veggie burger"... had never eaten (or seen) one of these before and I just couldn't eat it... it was really awful

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to handmade34 (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 6, 2019, 04:20 PM

3. Eating dead animals is what is creepy.

What is sick and creepy is paying a giant industry to abuse and kill animals, and then eating the flesh of those poor animals who only wanted a chance to live in the world like the rest of us.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 6, 2019, 04:24 PM

4. silly

I have been vegetarian for decades and only not vegan because I choose to eat my loved and cared for bee's honey and my chicken's eggs

I have been arguing against factory farms for 40 years...

Reply to this post

Response to handmade34 (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 6, 2019, 04:29 PM

6. I edited my post.

I realized after posting it that you might be a vegetarian or a vegan. I’m sorry you saw it before the edit.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 6, 2019, 04:37 PM

7. it's all good...

I understand the outrage at people who profess to care about the environment and health and safety, but continue to carelessly eat meat

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2018, 11:25 AM

2. gross

Tried one. Too much like the real thing.

Reply to this post

Response to deek (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 6, 2019, 04:28 PM

5. That's unfair.

I’ve never had an Impossible Burger and don’t plan to ever have one. However, it’s wrong to criticize a product that is, at the end of the day, an attempt to reduce animal suffering. The Impossible Burger is not for vegans; it’s for those who still eat animals and think they couldn’t live without the taste of meat.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 25, 2019, 08:02 AM

9. The problem is

now restaurants are serving this instead of veggie burgers.

Reply to this post

Response to deek (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:19 PM

8. Too close to my memory of beef

Yeah, I haven't eaten meat in decades and it was disturbingly close to my memory of it.

On the other hand, I know carnivores who have tried it and liked it, so if it helps them to stop eating meat I'm all good.

For me, I'd rather just have some black beans and brown rice.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2019, 06:50 PM

10. Impossible burger, just tried it..

I'm very impressed. It's like the real deal.. If your gonna convert the masses this is the way to go.. It was expensive though.. $14 for a burger.. ouch
m

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 02:51 PM

11. IB

has a high amount of saturated fat 50% and salt 19% per serving. Beyond Meat has 25% and 16%. I'll stick with whole food vegan fare.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread