HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » In final remarks, Obama s...

Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:54 PM

In final remarks, Obama says chance for two-state solution passing by

http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-final-remarks-obama-says-chance-for-two-state-solution-passing-by/

The goal of the resolution, Obama stated on Wednesday, was “to simply say that the settlements, the growth of the settlements, are creating a reality on the ground that increasingly will make a two-state solution impossible.”

“I don’t see how this issue gets resolved in a way that maintains Israel as both Jewish and a democracy, because if you cannot have two states, then in some form or fashion you are extending an occupation,” he said.

“Functionally, you end up having one state in which millions of people are disenfranchised and operate as second-class occupants, or residents. You can’t even call them citizens necessarily.”

“Israeli voters and Palestinians need to understand that this moment may be passing,” Obama said. “And hopefully that then creates a debate inside both Israeli and Palestinian communities that won’t resolve immediately in peace but at least will lead to a more sober assessment of what the alternatives are.”

I'm sure Bibi and Ivanka Trump's husband are up to the challenge....

2 replies, 1329 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply In final remarks, Obama says chance for two-state solution passing by (Original post)
geek tragedy Jan 2017 OP
Little Tich Jan 2017 #1
geek tragedy Jan 2017 #2

Response to geek tragedy (Original post)

Response to Little Tich (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 19, 2017, 07:13 PM

2. But, states have no friends, only interests.

The major flaw in Obama's approach to Israel is that he views Israel as friend or family, when it's neither, it's merely one of over 150+ foreign countries.

Not our business whether the state their retains a Jewish identity, etc.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread