HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Mental Health Support (Group) » informal COVID-19 poll re...

Sat Aug 15, 2020, 02:28 AM

informal COVID-19 poll re: anxiety

As all of you know, the pandemic is a *potential* threat to all of us, especially those of us over age 60/65 and we who have underlying medical conditions. I am in Florida, which is one of the worst affected areas, thanks to our infamously incompetent Governor DeSantis and the "rebels" against mask-wearing (their freedom to get sick and die, I suppose, and infect others).

I am 61 and have no underlying co-morbidities that the CDC says predispose me to more serious illness or death.

People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Sickle cell disease
Type 2 diabetes mellitus

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fneed-extra-precautions%2Fgroups-at-higher-risk.html

Of all those disease states, I am pre-diabetic and overweight, but not obese. I *think* I would survive a bout of COVID-19, but do I know this ? Absolutely not.

It's that uncertainty that haunts me. I social distance, avoid large crowds, wash my hands, and wear my mask. Way too many others in my area (central Florida) do not, however.

I am not losing any sleep over this, but yes, it is a low-grade anxiety that I would rather not live with.

Can you identify with this ? If not, you are very lucky, indeed. Thanks.

Steve

7 replies, 1498 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply informal COVID-19 poll re: anxiety (Original post)
steve2470 Aug 2020 OP
dickthegrouch Aug 2020 #1
steve2470 Aug 2020 #2
I_UndergroundPanther Aug 2020 #3
Canoe52 Aug 2020 #4
cwydro Aug 2020 #5
steve2470 Oct 2020 #6
cwydro Oct 2020 #7

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Sat Aug 15, 2020, 02:58 AM

1. I live with it every day

I have a 47yo partner who works at Walmart and 23yo lodger whoís in and out all day.
Both wear their masks religiously for me, bless them. But Iím still scared.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dickthegrouch (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 15, 2020, 03:15 AM

2. I understand very well ! nt

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 15, 2020, 09:37 AM

3. Yeah

I got near constant underlying anxiety. I feel my body tensing up from time to time. Living alone for months with no social contact takes a toll too.

I wear a mask and face shield and distance when I go out. I do my best to cover my ass. Go to get meds,groceries mostly. Had to hit Lowe's and PetSmart a couple of times. Miss going to the craft store tho.

Been doing art to escape the anxiety. Walking or other motion based meditations because sitting meditations make the anxiety worse.

I got diabeties,over weight but not as bad as I used to be,lost a good amount, high blood pressure that sometimes drops suddenly, and allergies.

At least 3 risk factors

So if I catch it it could get really bad.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 15, 2020, 10:39 AM

4. Yes and that added stress/anxiety for me Is messing with my chronic depression.

Upped my antidepressants a few months back and make sure I donít neglect my walks, deep breathing and using my meditation app on my phone.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 18, 2020, 05:10 AM

5. I contracted the virus three weeks ago.

According to my doctor, it was a "mild" case. It began with a headache so bad I thought I was having a stroke. Then chills and fever followed quickly. My fever over a period of a week went from 100 to 104 at the worst, for some reason the worst spikes happened at night. It was consistent at 101/102 during the day. The body aches were horrendous, and it felt like my skin had been rubbed with sandpaper. Aspirin did help. Dizziness and brain fog the entire time.

I had no respiratory symptoms thank god. I had asthma as a kid so I was worried sick about having breathing difficulties. I'm over 60, but no underlying conditions other than the childhood asthma.

It's very frightening. I rarely get sick, but if this had happened without Covid being an issue, I'd have just gone to bed and waited for it to pass. This time I was scared to death that somehow I'd end up in the hospital; each day I seemed to get new symptoms.

I've had no lingering effects except for the brain fog, which seems to come and go. My energy level is not what it usually is. It's a scary thing.

Reply to this post

Response to cwydro (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 07:13 PM

6. are you back to 100% yet ?

Sorry for late response !

Reply to this post

Response to steve2470 (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 08:48 PM

7. A week ago I would have said yes,

I recovered quickly. I felt lucky. And I was.

Iím having some odd issues now. Not sure why.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread