HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Does anyone have a recipe...

Mon Jun 7, 2021, 11:40 AM

Does anyone have a recipe for nontoxic garden dust for plants?

I hate to resort to something like Sevin and the organic spray stuff isn't doing the trick for my kale plants. I'm not even sure what's eating the leaves, but I suspect it's the early stages of cabbage worm. For some reason I've always had better luck with dust rather than spray on kale. I was thinking of something maybe flour based or cornstarch based. Any ideas?

6 replies, 1257 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Does anyone have a recipe for nontoxic garden dust for plants? (Original post)
Vinca Jun 2021 OP
Arkansas Granny Jun 2021 #1
happybird Jun 2021 #2
MoonchildCA Jun 2021 #3
Vinca Jun 2021 #4
Kali Jun 2021 #5
onethatcares Jun 2021 #6

Response to Vinca (Original post)

Mon Jun 7, 2021, 12:01 PM

1. This article seems to have some good organic ideas including diatomaceous earth and netting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jun 7, 2021, 12:01 PM

2. I don't know about home made but have you tried diatomaceous earth?

It works well.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 7, 2021, 12:19 PM

3. I had an issue with some unknown critters eating the leaves of all my plants...

...from kale and entire basil plants, to zucchini and cucumber leaves. I finally figured out it was earwigs. They eat the plants at night so it's hard to find them in the act. I researched and found a product that is approved for organic gardening called Monterey Ant Control. It's pellets that you can sprinkle around your garden area. Very easy to use, and worked like a charm.

Before I knew what was eating them, I had the entire base of the plant and surrounding areas cover in diatomaceous earth and it didn't seem to stop them.

Reply to this post

Response to MoonchildCA (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 7, 2021, 12:31 PM

4. That's interesting. I do see earwigs around from time to time, but I've never noticed them

near the kale. I've been thinking something directly on the leaves was what I should do, but maybe I should give something like this a try.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 7, 2021, 01:03 PM

5. Bt for any kind of caterpillar

DE for the rest, both have to be reapplied after rain.

Reply to this post

Response to Kali (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 12, 2021, 12:55 PM

6. and on a schedule

every 7 days for BT,(Tuesday for me), every 7 days for DE(Thursday for me) Sundays are my fertilizing days. Once the calander is set it's very easy to stay with.

The after rain application for both. Just pick up where you leave off .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread