HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Starting sweet potatoes

Sun Jun 21, 2015, 09:28 AM

Starting sweet potatoes

I have been attempting to get some sweet potato slips using the method described here. My shoots have grown 9 to 11" high, yet show no sign of developing the small red nodules with roots at the base between shoot and potato. It is getting a bit late in the season to let them continue for too much longer if they are going to need a 4 month growing season, so I'm wondering if I can just carefully cut out sections of potato containing a shoot and plant them directly, or even just plant the entire potato half - or would that result in too dense a thicket of potatoes in the ground?

4 replies, 1354 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Starting sweet potatoes (Original post)
IDemo Jun 2015 OP
dmosh42 Jun 2015 #1
IDemo Jun 2015 #2
mopinko Jun 2015 #3
IDemo Jun 2015 #4

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Sun Jun 21, 2015, 10:09 AM

1. It's good when you can get the slips on the edge of the potato, but most times I just go to...

the base and do a 'V' cut down into the potato. Then I take that slip and plant the whole plant, leaves and all, underground, with just the last leaf on top sticking above ground. I usually put mine in the ground around tomato planting time in early May here in NC. Good luck!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dmosh42 (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 21, 2015, 02:46 PM

2. I will probably do that

I'm not sure if the lack of the red buds at the base of the stems was due to being a different breed of potato, or what.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to this post

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Fri Jun 26, 2015, 12:07 AM

3. as long as you have roots you are good.

get them going. it is late. they will be fine.
i bought slips after failing to get sprouts, and they mostly barely even had roots.
all doing great now.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 26, 2015, 12:18 AM

4. I planted them and they look happy to be in the soil

Hopefully they will have enough of a growing season before the October frost to produce some decent sized tubers.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread