HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » This message was self-del...

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 07:49 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (NRaleighLiberal) on Mon Jun 20, 2016, 12:59 AM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

12 replies, 1560 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Original post)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 08:07 PM

1. What I love the most about your photos of tomatoes

is that they are not perfect. I had always felt that I failed when I had my tomatoes look less than ideal...and you have made me realize that they won't be. The perfect tomato is one that tastes like nothing.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 08:09 PM

2. That's really nice of you to say - thanks. Yes, I do not "Martha Stewart-ize" my pics or blog.

for better or worse, you get the straight story. Joys, fears, tears, wonder - it's all there!

Tomatoes end up being what nature intends - not only the genetic material for the particular variety, but the effects of weather and culture. Such fun!

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 08:23 PM

5. Every time my tomatoes would crack,

I felt like I must have done something wrong. No more.

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 08:25 PM

6. I've decided my gardening obsession fulfills my love of sharing and teaching

and that's why the fates decided to bestow this nutty tomato obsession on me!

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 08:14 PM

3. It was either a bunch of cherokee chocolates or purples that enabled me to make

the best chile I'd ever tasted. A friend gave me about 6 0r 7 of them and I never had seen them before. Making chile seemed the best use for so many tomatoes. They were sweet tasting. So much better than any canned tomato! I do think they were the chocolates. Astonishingly brown looking! So very good

Are the cherokees in the photo?

Response to NCarolinawoman (Reply #3)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 08:22 PM

4. Second row last tomato is Cherokee Purple - third row cluster of 2 are Cherokee chocolate

And Cherokee Green (not pictured) may be the best flavored of the three!

I have them all growing - where in NC are you? Visit Raleigh sometime - driveway tomato plant tour!

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #4)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 09:12 PM

7. Well I am actually in North Raleigh--near Creedmoor and Strickland.

Unfortunately, I am bed bound and on palliative care. However my brother, who is my primary care giver and bought your book, would probably love to see your driveway plant set-up. His wife, also! They have both read your blog.

They live a bit further north of me, near Falls Lake and are the proud parents of four hens and one rooster! I hope something can be worked out eventually.

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 11:16 PM

8. What is the striped Roma looking tomato?

Second to last row on right side, second from left. They all look so stunning and delicious!

Response to BrotherIvan (Reply #8)

Sat Jun 27, 2015, 11:30 PM

9. ah - that is my favorite paste type - Speckled Roman. It grows on a tall plant -

fruit are 4-6 inches long by 2 inches wide, scarlet red with vertical gold stripes, and delicious for fresh eating as well as sauce - and it is super productive.

My friend and fellow seed saver member John Swenson discovered and stabilized it as a bee cross between a long red paste, Antique Roman, and Tigerella (from where it got the stripes).

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #9)

Sun Jun 28, 2015, 03:59 AM

10. Oh man, I could reach through the screen and take a bite

Your tomatoes are the most amazing I've ever seen. Haven't seen good ones at the farmer's market yet and they are soooooo expensive. Nothing looks as good as yours! If you ever want to retire, you could make a killing selling those in California.

Sun Jun 28, 2015, 06:11 PM

11. This year is my first try in high desert

I've grown many in MN and other high Northeast areas. Now,the average temp here for this time of year is supposed to be around 84. But this year we are at 104 and thereabouts for the past week and no end in sight. They seem to be holding up okay so far. I have tons of flowers and a few babies. Early Girls that came from a local farm.

I dump a bucket full of water on the soil every morning. They are surrounded by 4" of straw and I don't water there and I don't put water on the leaves. Yesterday I took some dark screen I had and put it over them, for a bit of shade. Do you think they can survive this heat? Dry heat. Do you have any suggestions about other things I might do in this case?

Thanks for any suggestions. I have so much time and effort in these already, I really want to be able to eat some.

Response to hermetic (Reply #11)

Sun Jun 28, 2015, 08:30 PM

12. howdy! as long as you keep them hydrated (I am watering twice a day here in Raleigh)

they will indeed survive - the main question is whether they will set fruit at high temps. Try to keep the plants from visibly wilting - if they do, water at the base of the plant. good luck!