HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Ok, so didnt I read somep...

Wed Nov 8, 2017, 07:33 AM

Ok, so didnt I read someplace that Thanksgiving cactus should be given bright

indirect light??? Well not sure that is true......I moved my cactus to a South side window and I swear to gawd itís in heaven. Every leaf segment has at least one flower bud and lots have two buds ready to flower around Thanksgiving. Itís awesome. I wish I could show you, but not tech savvy to accomplish that. I water it every two weeks, and it has just taken off. Our neighbor has his in a South side window and he told me try it, I did am just in awe of the plant. Itís been about a year since the move, had it in a East facing window before. So wonderful to soon have flowers during this dreary part of the year.

2 replies, 1373 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ok, so didnt I read someplace that Thanksgiving cactus should be given bright (Original post)
a kennedy Nov 2017 OP
TygrBright Nov 2017 #1
a kennedy Feb 2018 #2

Response to a kennedy (Original post)

Wed Nov 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

1. Thanksgiving/Christmas cacti are daylength-sensitive bloomers.

So if you want them to bloom every year, they need to be placed (starting at least in early August) somewhere that they'll experience the natural light cycle almost every single day. Having them in a place where lights are turned on after dark will confuzzle them and they may not bloom.

Beyond that, they do like a reasonable amount of light and not too much water.

They're gorgeous and can be very long-lived.

informatively,
Bright

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TygrBright (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 20, 2018, 04:30 PM

2. I actually write on my calendar every other Monday to water.....

If I didnít actually write it down I know Iíd water way to often so this is a great way for me to NOT water to much. What is so weird??? My Thanksgiving cactus is blooming NOW!!! Itís February 20 and it has 6 full blown flowers and 8 new buds!! Itís nuts....love it, but this is insane.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread