HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » I ran into a big red one ...

Tue Nov 26, 2019, 05:05 PM

I ran into a big red one Vietnam vet I invited him for thanksgiving

I met this guy awhile back in gym that I work out at. Anyway vets in getting to know him hes a great guy retired police officer. He ended his career as homicide detective. I found out several months ago hes a widower and I love the dude as friend. He told me he was a tunnel rat in Vietnam and Im like fuck. So my friend he just text me what would you like me to bring for thanksgiving.

I text back to him nothing bro just bring you. Truthfully I feel bad for the dude his wife passed from breast cancer in 05. As a infantry soldier vet myself and a husband I just have a big heart for the dude. So then I told him hey if you wanna stop around Wednesday for lunch and hang. Im doing a chili he was like ok. I told him you do not have be alone on holidays friend. All compassion and love I feel. So I ramble a lot my point is this dude as tunnel rat was stud.

5 replies, 1203 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply I ran into a big red one Vietnam vet I invited him for thanksgiving (Original post)
TEB Nov 2019 OP
pbmus Nov 2019 #1
Ohiogal Nov 2019 #2
Karadeniz Nov 2019 #3
TEB Nov 2019 #4
blueinredohio Nov 2019 #5

Response to TEB (Original post)

Tue Nov 26, 2019, 05:09 PM

1. Thankful for people like you

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 26, 2019, 05:15 PM

2. We need more people like TEB in the world.

I read a book about a guy who was a tunnel rat in Nam. Words can't describe how frightening that must have been. Awesome he will be joining your crowd. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 26, 2019, 06:17 PM

3. Perfect of you! How do we infect everyone with your character?

Reply to this post

Response to Karadeniz (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 26, 2019, 08:20 PM

5. You are very kind TEB

I also a m having a new person this year. My oldest brother who is a widower asked if he could bring someone he knows who will also be alone for Thanksgiving. I said sure we always have way too much food and maybe won't have to eat leftovers for the whole weekend. The more the merrier, if he can put up with this crazy bunch God bless him.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread