HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » The New York Rockies?

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 08:43 AM

The New York Rockies?

Tulowitzki and LeMahieu -- Yankees. This will take some getting used to.

New York agreed to a two-year, $24 million contract with free-agent second baseman DJ LeMahieu on Friday afternoon, a source confirmed to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. The agreement is pending a physical, and the club has not confirmed. https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-add-infielder-dj-lemahieu/c-302615720?tid=282421090

6 replies, 331 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 10:41 AM

1. When will it end?

When the Yankees own all the talent in the damn league??? At least this means Manny Machado is going to land somewhere else, right?

LeMahieu didn't have his best year in 2018 (stats were a little off and had some injuries), but he's still underrated, IMO. Great hitter, fast on the base paths, good defensively.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to True Dough (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 14, 2019, 04:16 PM

2. The NY Yankees have not signed a big name Free Agent in years

Red Sox on the other hand...

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 15, 2019, 09:32 PM

3. Not since the year they signed Ellsbury and Brian McCann (unless you want to count Chapman).

I disagree with the other poster. I think the Yankees SHOULD spend money on free agents (when they feel it's a good investment). They generate a lot of revenue, in large part because of the fans, and they should spend that money on making their "product" better to reward those fans. It's better than those owners who are pocketing the difference.

Reply to this post

Response to hughee99 (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2019, 10:36 AM

4. The percentage of their revenue spent on payroll is lower much today than it was in 2004

New Yankees ownership is pocketing the cash. They're not spending aggressively on players.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 AM

5. I know. I think they should be spending more on players.

Now Iím not suggesting they should throw ungodly sums of money at players who donít warrant it (like Ellsbury and McCann), but when free agents they want come up, they shouldnít be balking because of the money. My Red Sox are in the same boat. Their payroll has been high the last few years, but a large part of that wasnít for their stars, it was for expensive mistakes.

Big market teams have the luxury of being wrong on big contracts. As someone once said, itís not the stars that are expensive, itís the high price of mediocrity.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 17, 2019, 11:16 AM

6. The trades of Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman in 2016 netted them a lot of prospects

Granted, Chapman was re-signed in 2017 for megabucks. But the prospects came with low salaries. Looking back, it was a smart move IMO.

No Yankees fan BTW.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread