HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Birders (Group) » some hummingbirds.

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:08 PM

some hummingbirds.

Three of these - the black-fronted mango, indigo-capped hummingbird, and rufous-tailed hummingbird - were taken at Jardin Encantado, a private residence about 35 miles west of Bogota. The owner has set up a battery of hummingbird feeders, and for a small fee, she'll let you watch from a porch. I saw 13 species of hummingbird - nine of them lifers - and was told it was a slow day for them. (There were other great birds there as well - thick-billed euphonia, several tanagers - so even without the hummingbirds, I'd have had a great time.)

In an earlier post, someone remarked that I must have high-end photographic equipment. In fact, I don't - it's a Canon EOS Rebel SL3. I used the 50-250 mm zoom that came with the kit.

I actually work on living and extinct crocodiles and alligators for a living - while my wife, who's a clinical psychologist, was working with some colleagues in Bogota, I split my time between chasing birds and playing with late caimans and gharials in the Geological Survey collections - so the camera just has to be able to take good photos of fossils and specimens from modern species. That I've learned to take halfway decent wildlife shots is incidental - I work on animals that used to occur everywhere, so I go everywhere, and I'm also a birder, so I generally head to wildlife-friendly areas when I'm not in the collections. The SL3, along with a couple of macro lenses, is perfect for that. It's not a very fast camera, so I haven't invested in a high-end telephoto lens; I'm also still making car payments and raising my daughter, so it's unlikely I'll be able to get one anyway.

The trip to Colombia was memorable for another reason - I took our daughter, who was just starting to walk, to a couple of local parks in the mornings. One of them turned out to be a great place to see sword-billed hummingbirds. (Look them up if you've not seen one. The beak is longer than the rest of the bird.) That I got to see one was a thrill, but being able to share that with my daughter made it that much cooler.

Sparkling violetear, botanical Gardens, Bogotá, Colombia:
[img][/img]

Black-fronted mango, San Francisco de Sales, Colombia:
[img][/img]

Indigo-capped hummingbird, San Francisco de Sales, Colombia:
[img][/img]

Rufous-tailed hummingbird, San Francisco de Sales, Colombia:
[img][/img]

Costa’s hummingbird, Tucson, AZ:
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

6 replies, 716 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply some hummingbirds. (Original post)
cab67 Jan 2021 OP
BusyBeingBest Jan 2021 #1
DarthDem Jan 2021 #2
dem4decades Jan 2021 #3
cab67 Jan 2021 #4
dem4decades Jan 2021 #5
cab67 Jan 2021 #6

Response to cab67 (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:19 PM

1. Beautiful!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:21 PM

2. O.M.G.

What beautiful birds!! And fantastic photography. Thank you for sharing these!!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:41 PM

3. 5 more months till we see ours. Can't wait. Those are beautiful.

Reply to this post

Response to dem4decades (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:40 PM

4. which one(s) do you get?

Reply to this post

Response to cab67 (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:49 PM

5. We're in Southern New England, Ruby Throated. They fight like banshees with each other.

Reply to this post

Response to dem4decades (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:51 PM

6. I use the term "dog-fighting" to describe their behavior.

Native New Englander myself, by the way - Springfield.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread