HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Construction worker files...

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 05:26 PM

Construction worker files lawsuit after he was allegedly fired for not attending Bible study

If true, Lady Liberty, PAY THIS MAN (with the construction company owner's money, of course).

A 34-year-old man has filed an $800,000 lawsuit against a Albany construction company, claiming the owner fired him after he refused to attend weekly Bible study.

Ryan Coleman’s lawsuit states that he discovered only after he was hired as a painter for Dahled Up Construction that the job entailed more than just fixing up homes. According to Coleman and his lawsuit, owner Joel Dahl told him all employees were required to partake in regular Bible study sessions led by a Christian pastor during the work day, while on the clock.

Coleman told Dahl that the requirement was illegal, but Dahl wouldn’t budge, according to the lawsuit. In order to keep his job, Coleman obliged for nearly six months but ultimately told Dahl he couldn’t go, the suit says.

“I said ‘I’ve kept an open mind, and it’s just not my thing.’ And he said, ‘Well, I’m going to have to replace you,'” Coleman told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

“He said ‘You’re not going to tell me how to run my own company,’” Coleman continued. “I said ‘I’m not trying to tell you how to run your own company, but you’re not going to tell me what god to pray to.’”

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/08/lawsuit_oregon_construction_wo.html

8 replies, 872 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Construction worker files lawsuit after he was allegedly fired for not attending Bible study (Original post)
True Dough Aug 2018 OP
MineralMan Aug 2018 #1
Mariana Aug 2018 #3
The Genealogist Aug 2018 #2
Mariana Aug 2018 #4
The Genealogist Aug 2018 #5
Major Nikon Aug 2018 #6
True Dough Aug 2018 #7
Major Nikon Aug 2018 #8

Response to True Dough (Original post)

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 05:41 PM

1. Persecution of the non-religious?

Why, that never happens...It's always religious people who get fired, I've heard.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MineralMan (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 06:58 PM

3. Now that this has made the news

Mr. Coleman will probably receive death threats. That's what usually happens to people who file lawsuits like this one.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 05:56 PM

2. I'm sure there are certain politicians who would like to mandate workplace Bible study for all

Not just in the workplace, but in the schools as well. I think we all know the real reason for crap like this: social control.

Why is it never enough for some Christians to just be Christians, and happy with that? People like the owner of this company wish to mandate religious indoctrination.

Reply to this post

Response to The Genealogist (Reply #2)

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 07:00 PM

4. Those politicians have plenty of support from their Christian constituents.

It's frightening how many Christians actively oppose the principle of separation of church and state.

Reply to this post

Response to Mariana (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 07:03 PM

5. The whole lot of them know their twisted evangelical religion is shrinking

I guess if you can't get people to join up voluntarily, you just require it. So much for free will!

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 10:24 PM

6. Hopefully Jesus can pony up the 6 figure settlement

Along with the others that are sure to follow.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 10:36 PM

7. Wasn't Jesus a carpenter?

Supposedly? Or am I think of Richard, who sang with his sister Karen? He ain't heavy...

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 04:32 AM

8. Jesus' cuckolded father was a "carpenter"

Jesus is also referred to in the bible once as a “carpenter”, so it’s possible he was his cuckolded father’s apprentice. However, the original Ancient Greek word could mean lots of other things.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread