HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Amid abuse scandal, 90% f...

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 07:12 AM

Amid abuse scandal, 90% fewer Irish Catholics attend Pope Francis' Mass than Pope John Paul II's

In a sign of the Catholic Church's struggles with one of its most faithful followers, fewer than a quarter of an expected crowd of half a million people last weekend attended Pope Francis' public Mass in Dublin, Ireland.

The pope's Mass in Dublin’s Phoenix Park on Sunday drew 135,000 people, far short of the estimated 500,000 people forecast to attend, according to official estimates published by Irish Central, The Journal and other Irish news sites. During the last papal visit to Ireland – in 1979 – Pope John Paul II attracted more than 1 million for a public Mass. That's a drop-off rate of almost 90 percent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/08/30/pennsylvania-abuse-scandal-irish-catholics-boycott-pope-francis-mass/1147203002/

The Irish have had it with the RCC.

3 replies, 1527 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Amid abuse scandal, 90% fewer Irish Catholics attend Pope Francis' Mass than Pope John Paul II's (Original post)
Voltaire2 Aug 2018 OP
LineNew Reply .
3Hotdogs Aug 2018 #1
NeoGreen Aug 2018 #2
MineralMan Aug 2018 #3

Response to Voltaire2 (Original post)

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 07:57 AM

1. .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 08:07 AM

2. But...but...

...faith is growing...all is well...la...la...la...I can't hear you...la...la...la...

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 09:20 AM

3. Very poor attendance, to be sure. I wonder whether Il Papa

noticed that. It seems to me that if the Roman Catholic Church loses its loyal following in Ireland, it is truly on the downturn. That's exactly what appears to be happening. The RCC is losing its relevance, even in a place where it had held sway for a very, very long time.

Personally, I see that as a positive thing, frankly.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread