HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Astrology, Spirituality & Alternative Healing (Group) » Sigh. Some People are so ...

Sun Jan 3, 2016, 10:27 PM

Sigh. Some People are so Clueless

It appears the NY Times is testing the waters on stories exploring the paranormal. Google "paranormal stories NY Times" and you will see a number of stories published in 2015. I may have posted one of their other stories here.

But this opinion piece is by a woman who writes ghost stories! And she can't figure this phenomenon out! In search of an answer, she goes to all the wrong places. Sheesh--why on earth would she ask these people? If you're trying to understand a visit by a spirit, you don't go to a scientist, you go to somebody like Theresa Caputo.

Here are the legal four paragraphs and the link to the rest of the story. She writes beautifully, and she paints a vivid portrait of her mother-in-law. If you like good writing, it's worth the read.

The Smell of Loss
by Julie Myerson

LONDON ó THE first time it happens is a dark winterís afternoon, not quite a year after her death. Iím at my desk working, and there it suddenly is: sharp, glassy-green, with that faint, musky undertone that catches at the back of your throat.
I recognize it instantly: the scent that hung in our hall every time she came to supper. The perfume that clung to her coat, her scarves, detectable sometimes for hours on my babiesí hair after sheíd been carrying and kissing them.
That first time, itís a shock. Her perfume is something Iíve long forgotten (in her final months, mostly bedridden, she was beyond all that). But here it is ó absolute and definite and quite overpowering. It lasts for three, maybe four minutes, long enough for me to get up and start searching the room for its source (my daughter, ChloŽ, has a few of her cardigans ó did she leave one in here?).
Then, just as suddenly, itís gone.

More at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/opinion/sunday/the-smell-of-loss.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-right-regionģion=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0

Cher

2 replies, 3028 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sigh. Some People are so Clueless (Original post)
NJCher Jan 2016 OP
CanSocDem Jan 2016 #1
PADemD Jan 2016 #2

Response to NJCher (Original post)

Mon Jan 4, 2016, 09:07 AM

1. Ha! Good one.

I put all of this to him in a carefully concise email, and then add ó because I canít resist it ó ďI would just love to know: Have you ever, as a scientist, experienced something you feel you canít explain?Ē

He doesnít reply.

It's so scary out here in the world.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NJCher (Original post)

Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:16 AM

2. What else could it be, but a visit from spirit?

When I'm busy concentrating on a task, I suddenly smell the pie that my mother frequently baked; and there are no baked goods in my house.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread