HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Admirers still urging sai...

Sun Sep 5, 2021, 10:14 PM

Admirers still urging sainthood for chaplain killed on 9/11 (Fr. Mychal Judge)

Some of his many admirers point to Judge — a gay man who devoted himself to ministering to vulnerable populations such as the homeless or people with HIV/AIDS — as a reason for the U.S. Catholic Church to be more welcoming to LGBTQ people.

And some argue passionately that Judge should be considered for sainthood, with a new initiative to be launched in the coming days. Though Judge’s religious order has not embraced that cause, a Rome-based priest who helps the Vatican investigate possible candidates for canonization is urging Judge’s supporters not to give up the effort.

Judge died in the line of duty two decades ago after hurrying with firefighter colleagues to the burning World Trade Center. As he prayed in the north tower’s lobby for the rescuers and victims, the 68-year-old priest was crushed by debris from the falling south tower.

“Mychal Judge shows us that you can be gay and holy,” said the Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest who advocates for greater LGBTQ inclusion in the church.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/national/admirers-still-urging-sainthood-for-chaplain-killed-on-9-11/

5 replies, 752 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Admirers still urging sainthood for chaplain killed on 9/11 (Fr. Mychal Judge) (Original post)
FireUpChips10 Sep 5 OP
left-of-center2012 Sep 5 #1
CBHagman Sep 12 #4
hlthe2b Sep 5 #2
Fortinbras Armstrong Sep 18 #5
no_hypocrisy Sep 6 #3

Response to FireUpChips10 (Original post)

Sun Sep 5, 2021, 10:29 PM

1. I have read in the past that the debris was a body

I read that someone who jumped from the tower landed on him.
Yet over the years they referred to that person as 'debris'.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 12, 2021, 10:03 PM

4. I've heard conflicting reports...

...which isn't surprising, considering the chaos of that day. A Franciscan I know who knew Father Mychal seemed to confirm the story of falling debris, but we've only talked about it once and that a long time ago.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 5, 2021, 10:46 PM

2. One of the most memorable images for me was of Fr Mychal Judge being carried out...

I'm all for the Vatican giving him sainthood... While it doesn't mean much for many of us, it is something that is so meaningful for so many Catholics and Father Judge certainly was the epitome of that on 911.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 18, 2021, 08:39 AM

5. In his Rule, St Benedict says

"It is more important to be a saint than to be called a saint". Fr Judge is, IMO, a saint. Whether or not he is officially canonized isn't so significant.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 6, 2021, 06:41 AM

3. Also the act of a man who was more than a priest.

Fr. Judge counseled Patrolman Steven D. McDonald who later forgave the youth who shot and paralyzed him. McDonald was in a wheelchair, couldn't breathe without a machine, and died early because of his injuries. Judge appealed to McDonald to have mercy based upon the principles of Jesus and the Church.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread