HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » This is why religion is s...

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 01:42 PM

This is why religion is such a dangerous thing. WaPo article. "Judgment days"

They twist themselves into any sort of unnatural position to support the authority (in this case 45). These Southern Baptists, of whom I used to be one, are the worst hypocrites and most judgemental people I know. Racists, bigots and very happily ignorant. Getting more of an education than a high school diploma to them is "putting on airs" and getting into bed with Satan because you start to question things. Of trying to be "intellectually superior" for simply making a logical argument and then backing it up with links to the supporting facts. I have been accused of all these recently by some of my old classmates from home.

(sorry for the paywall link. Right-click and open in a private/incognito window to open the link)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2018/07/21/feature/god-trump-and-the-meaning-of-morality/?utm_term=.653b5371e5b3

ďOh, I feel like the Lord heard our prayers and gave us a second chance before the end times,Ē she had said a few days before, when she was working at the food pantry of the Alabama Crenshaw Baptist Association.

ďI think they are trying to frame him,Ē she said, referring to the unflattering stories about the president.

It was a binary world, not just for Jewell Killough but for everyone sitting inside the sanctuary of First Baptist Church, who prayed all the time about how to navigate it.

There is no grey in their world. There is only what they are told to believe. They are to read the Bible but not question it when it contradicts itself or the things they do not understand. Not to try to interpret "God's" word on their own. They are to go to their pastor for all the answers. Thinking on one's own is just temptation from the devil.

These people display the problem with every fundamentalist in every religion.

14 replies, 2009 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is why religion is such a dangerous thing. WaPo article. "Judgment days" (Original post)
bitterross Jul 2018 OP
stopbush Jul 2018 #1
asiliveandbreathe Jul 2018 #3
RKP5637 Jul 2018 #2
Comatose Sphagetti Jul 2018 #4
MarcA Jul 2018 #5
Comatose Sphagetti Jul 2018 #11
BigmanPigman Jul 2018 #6
bitterross Jul 2018 #7
Cartoonist Jul 2018 #8
stopbush Jul 2018 #10
Nitram Jul 2018 #9
Comatose Sphagetti Jul 2018 #12
ProfessorPlum Jul 2018 #13
Lordquinton Jul 2018 #14

Response to bitterross (Original post)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 01:51 PM

1. If you believe the fantasies of the Buy-Bull, you're predisposed

to believe the fantasies spewed by the Republican Party, be it on tax policy, immigrants, crime whatever. On top of that, you are told that itís your lot in life as a Christian to be misunderstood by the evil that is the world, and to suffer for your faith, because you donít get your reward from Jeebus until youíre dead anyway. So when those R policies adversely effect YOUR life, well, hey - just suffering for the lord. Heíll make it up to me when Iím dead.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to stopbush (Reply #1)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 02:18 PM

3. Spot on - thus their idolatry of the POS in the WH...

Have no idol before me - comes to mind..Bible warns against it..hypocrites...

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 02:01 PM

2. Mindless bots they are, being ruled by fantasies and lies, being often used as pawns and clueless.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 02:43 PM

4. I read the article.

These individuals are seriously ill. I hope somehow they recover.

Reply to this post

Response to Comatose Sphagetti (Reply #4)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 02:55 PM

5. I am more concerned that their illness will harm the rest of us.

We can not be part of their world. When in the course of human events.

Reply to this post

Response to MarcA (Reply #5)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 08:23 PM

11. Reminds me of the family members who love someone in the throes of untreated addiction...

The family members suffer from the behavior of the afflicted.
The solution? Tough love. A decision has to be made and boundaries set: I love you but I will not enable you or support your insanity. You WILL NOT take me emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, physically or financially down with you.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 03:23 PM

6. I posted an article about religion and tRump a few

days ago. It received a lot of feedback from DUers who verified the situation and mind set.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/

" In deep-red America, the white Christian god is king, figuratively and literally. Religious fundamentalism has shaped most of their belief systems. Systems built on a fundamentalist framework are not conducive to introspection, questioning, learning, or change. When you have a belief system built on fundamentalism, it isnít open to outside criticism, especially by anyone not a member of your tribe and in a position of power. The problem isnít that coastal elites donít understand rural Americans. The problem is that rural America doesnít understand itself and will never listen to anyone outside its bubble. It doesnít matter how ďunderstandingĒ you are, how well you listen, what language you useÖif you are viewed as an outsider, your views will be automatically discounted. Iíve had hundreds of discussions with rural white Americans and whenever I present them any information that contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how unquestionable, how obvious, they will not even entertain the possibility that it might be true. Their refusal is a result of the nature of their fundamentalist belief system and the fact that Iím the enemy because Iím an educated liberal.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #6)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 03:43 PM

7. Great Article. Sounds very familiar.

I could have written that. Except for the dating girls thing. Never did that because I was painfully aware I was gay. And I do mean painfully. Fortunately for me, I could pass as straight.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 04:14 PM

8. And it's so easy

They too can become "intellectually superior". All they have to do is go to the library and read some books, magazines, and newspapers. They can even check out DVDs of documentaries. It's free!

Reply to this post

Response to Cartoonist (Reply #8)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 07:23 PM

10. Problem is that they DO acquire books,DVDs etc

from sources providing ďalternative facts.Ē

Plus, they can get a lot of that crap free, and when they do pay for it, itís often as a donation to some RW hate mill.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 05:23 PM

9. Excellent article, but scary to read the bizarre world view of Evangelical Christians.

they have such incredibly literal, and weird, views of their imaginary reality.

There was Heaven: ďMost say itís gonna be 15,000 miles wide and that high,Ē Jewell said. ďWe donít know whether when it comes down how far it will come, if itís gonna come all the way or if there will be stairs. We donít know that. But itís gonna be suitable to each person. You know that old song, ĎLord, build me a cabin in the corner of Gloryland?í See, thatís not right. Itís not gonna be you have a cabin over here and I have one over there. Itís gonna be suitable to each person. So, whatever makes me happy. I like birds. So outside my window, there will be birds.Ē

And there was Hell: ďEach person is gonna be on an islandlike place, and fire all around it. And theyíre gonna be in complete darkness, and over time, your eyes will go. And wormsíll eat on you. Itís a terrible place, the way the Bible describes it.Ē

Reply to this post

Response to Nitram (Reply #9)

Sun Jul 22, 2018, 08:28 PM

12. Scary and fucking insane.

Not one iota of logic or critical thinking skills displayed by Jewell. And there are millions like her... Ready to die and kill for their absurd worldview.
"For humanity to survive, religion must die." - Bill Maher

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 23, 2018, 07:47 PM

13. There are no islands or worms in the description of Hell in the Bible

What's this idiot going on about?

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 25, 2018, 08:36 PM

14. Fire all around, and complete darkness