HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » Iceland Declares All Reli...

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 09:50 PM

Iceland Declares All Religions Are Mental Disorders "Satire"

*Reykyavik, Iceland Ė This small island country in the North Atlantic is home to many controversies. The countryís parliament voted in 2017 to place mental health warnings on all Bibles. In that same year, the nation took another secular step forward by banning American televangelists. Iceland is now declaring all religions to be psychological disorders.

The AlĢingi (the nationís parliament) voted overwhelmingly in favor of the statute 60-3. The three politicians who voted against the decree reportedly believed the measure didnít go far enough. ďWe donít want to end up like the United States or Saudi Arabia, do we?Ē one anonymous representative mused.

Icelandís Prime Minister Andrew Kanard not only immediately signed the decree but is giving a full-throated defense of why religion is a psychological disorder:

A cursory look at any of the common definitions of mental illness reveals that religion is, in fact, the most common malady of them all. Look at any recent convert. Itís plain to friends and family the poor soul in question is suffering from emotional disturbances and impaired functioning.

Have you been to the Creation Museum in the United States? If that place isnít a hot bed for disordered thinking common to those inflicted with schitzophrenia, I donít know what is.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/laughingindisbelief/2020/01/iceland-declares-all-religions-are-mental-disorders/

9 replies, 1529 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Iceland Declares All Religions Are Mental Disorders "Satire" (Original post)
yortsed snacilbuper Jun 2020 OP
Thunderbeast Jun 2020 #1
unblock Jun 2020 #2
captain queeg Jun 2020 #3
alittlelark Jun 2020 #4
Buckeye_Democrat Jun 2020 #5
central scrutinizer Jun 2020 #6
3Hotdogs Jun 2020 #7
CatLady78 Jul 2020 #8
NeoGreen Jul 2020 #9

Response to yortsed snacilbuper (Original post)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 09:58 PM

1. SNOPES Labels "Satire"

Be careful out there!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 10:05 PM

3. Damn I was hoping it was real

Not that I really have anything against religion, but the evangelicals donít fit my definition of religion. Which should be a private personal belief system.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 10:05 PM

4. Gawds I want this 2 b true !!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 10:19 PM

6. They don't have a Creation Museum

But there is a Phallus Museum

https://phallus.is/en/

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 10:23 PM

7. Two or three years ago, a U.S. preacher, child of God, went to a scandanavian country

to spread The Word.

He got nowhere with it. People responded, We don't need religion.

A video of is visit was posted on D.U.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 18, 2020, 08:02 AM

8. Hah

I have disliked all forms of religion for as long as I can remember.....probably because it was never forced on me. Having no real religious indoctrination, as a child I immediately perceived a conflict between religion and science (which I liked).

This is the DU member formerly known as CatLady78.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 20, 2020, 11:30 AM

9. I asked my cat, it is not 'satire'...

...it's more like

But in truth, it is ironic that while the claim is labeled as 'untrue', the point the claim makes describes reality almost perfectly.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread