HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Under the bus?

Thu Feb 11, 2016, 04:03 PM

Under the bus?

As the candidates and their supporters battle back and forth, I see many posts claiming somebody has been thrown "under the bus." This expression appears to be used correctly about half the time. When you throw somebody under the bus, it means you do something to a friend or ally that causes them to take the blame for something you did, suffer damage to their reputation because you wanted to save yourself, something like that. It does not apply when you have a disagreement with somebody who was not in your cam in the first place. So Hillary cannot throw Bernie under the bus, and Bernie cannot throw Hillary under the bus. Please do not consider this a rant. I just thought everyone would like to know.

3 replies, 600 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Under the bus? (Original post)
HassleCat Feb 2016 OP
valerief Feb 2016 #1
djean111 Feb 2016 #2
artislife Feb 2016 #3

Response to HassleCat (Original post)

Thu Feb 11, 2016, 04:04 PM

1. Drives me nuts, too. I see it used when they mean "jumped the shark." I have a lot of people on

Ignore, so I may not see all the instances you do.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 11, 2016, 04:16 PM

2. Yup. Here at DU, "under the bus" now means "no one switched support from Bernie to

Hillary when noted-or-famous-person endorsed Hillary". It is actually really funny, now.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 11, 2016, 04:18 PM

3. It's a talking point that allows the poster

not to actually back up their stand on the issue.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread