HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » Women, Misogyny, Feminism...

Sun Dec 30, 2018, 01:01 PM

Women, Misogyny, Feminism, Philip Roth, trump and the NewYorker Radio Hour

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/philip-roths-american-portraits-and-american-prophecy-2

I have never knowingly read Philip Roth, the not so subdued misogyny has always pushed me away.

source>>https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b09562be4b0568a880bbda3?ec_carp=3781954750951096315

snip..."At the root of the accusation is Roth’s gleefully lascivious objectification of women in his novels. In Portnoy’s Complaint, an attempted rape is treated as slapstick comedy; in The Breast, a man tragicomically turns into a breast from longing for them too much. Women’s bodies are the eternal punch line. A glimpse of female skin turns male characters into bumbling, venal clowns, no longer responsible for what they do."
There is quite a bit more in that article to think over.

Today I heard the NewYoker Podcast about Philip Roth, and the clip with 3 appatently regarded women writers spoke about him and his involvement with women in many ways.

Did anyone else hear this? I'd like some feedback. Thanks

2 replies, 656 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Women, Misogyny, Feminism, Philip Roth, trump and the NewYorker Radio Hour (Original post)
irisblue Dec 2018 OP
shenmue Dec 2018 #1
ismnotwasm Jan 2019 #2

Response to irisblue (Original post)

Sun Dec 30, 2018, 02:21 PM

1. I really hate Philip Roth. He's disgusting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to irisblue (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2019, 11:24 AM

2. From what I understand he didn't bother with depth or real humanity for his women characters

He seemed to not understand Jewish women, much less women in general, and so his characters fell flat, while the rest of his writing was rich, informative and well done. I read “Portnoys Complaint” but it was so long ago I don’t remember a damn thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread