HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Community Help (Forum) » I' m clueless: what is a...

Thu Apr 18, 2013, 04:20 PM

I' m clueless: what is a 'gungeoneer' , what is an 'alert on a post'?

I was asked to be in a jury on a post but I couldn't figure out what was going on. It had to do with poster apocalypsehow and guns. What is the blood dripping "sarcasm" thingy at the bottom of a post?

Any help would be appreciated . . .

2 replies, 1922 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply I' m clueless: what is a 'gungeoneer' , what is an 'alert on a post'? (Original post)
cheyanne Apr 2013 OP
hlthe2b Apr 2013 #1
rrneck Apr 2013 #2

Response to cheyanne (Original post)

Thu Apr 18, 2013, 04:31 PM

1. yes, that's a lot to be thrown at as a newbie...

You can always elect not to serve on a jury, especially as you are just learning your way around...

But gungeon refers to the group that is overwhelmingly populated by pro-gun advocates, even though it is named Gun Control & RKBA group. Gungeoneers would be referring to the "regulars" that frequent this group.

An alert on a post signals that a member felt a post violated the community standards and requested a jury review it. You can read about this and other issues having to do with terms of service here, if you didn't read when you signed up:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=termsofservice

As for the sarcasm thing, that's merely an emoticon. Not seeing the thread, I have no idea what the context might have been.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cheyanne (Original post)

Thu Apr 18, 2013, 04:32 PM

2. A "gungeoneer" is a member who regularly

posts in the RKBA group and is ostensibly considered "pro gun".

Alerting on a post means someone has objected to what was written and clicked the alert link, which sends it to a jury. The jury of randomly selected members then decide whether or not that post should be hidden.

Sarcasm and irony are sometimes difficult to detect so people frequently add the dripped sarcasm thingie to give others a heads up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread