HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Media » Good News (Group) » Viral NYC Subway Photo Is...

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 12:06 AM

Viral NYC Subway Photo Is What America Is All About

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/viral-subway-photo-america-diversity_us_595cffa5e4b0da2c732664cf

Over the July Fourth holiday weekend, as people took to Twitter to both celebrate the country as well as call out the ways it needs to improve, one Twitter user shared a moment of sheer hope, at a time when many in the country fear growing hate and bigotry.

Rachel MacKnight, an actress based in New York City, posted a photo on July 2, which she took on the city’s C-train, showing a young child from what appears to be a non-white, Muslim family grinning at a baby held by a white woman, who is also smiling.

“Thiiiiiis is what makes America great,” MacKnight’s caption read. “Happy 4th of July, y’all.”

The photo has gone viral, with more than 12,000 retweets and 50,000 likes.

Over the July Fourth holiday weekend, as people took to Twitter to both celebrate the country as well as call out the ways it needs to improve, one Twitter user shared a moment of sheer hope, at a time when many in the country fear growing hate and bigotry.

Rachel MacKnight, an actress based in New York City, posted a photo on July 2, which she took on the city’s C-train, showing a young child from what appears to be a non-white, Muslim family grinning at a baby held by a white woman, who is also smiling.

“Thiiiiiis is what makes America great,” MacKnight’s caption read. “Happy 4th of July, y’all.”

The photo has gone viral, with more than 12,000 retweets and 50,000 likes.

More at link to HuffPo

9 replies, 3260 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Viral NYC Subway Photo Is What America Is All About (Original post)
Stonepounder Jul 2017 OP
brush Jul 2017 #1
Neema Jul 2017 #4
cilla4progress Jul 2017 #2
Cracklin Charlie Jul 2017 #3
Lucinda Jul 2017 #5
NBachers Jul 2017 #6
Squinch Jul 2017 #7
gristy Jul 2017 #8
Stuart G Jul 2017 #9

Response to Stonepounder (Original post)

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 12:15 AM

1. That's nice. That's New York. Fly-over states need some New York diversity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brush (Reply #1)

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 12:47 AM

4. I think if everyone could spend some time in diverse places and/or travel a bit, so much

ridiculous nonsense would go away. I recently saw a color coded map of my city where every 100 people of a particular ethnicity were represented by a different colored dot. My neighborhood looked like confetti. That made me so happy.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 12:16 AM

2. Love these moments

Of connection!

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 12:20 AM

3. Cute!

My daughters boss gave my daughter some money and told her to take her two year old daughter (my granddaughter) shopping, and she could pick anything she wanted.

She chose the most adorable, giant, black toy baby boy. My granddaughter is white, strawberry hair, with bright blue eyes.

She loves that baby, that is as big as she is, and they take some of the cutest photos.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 02:39 AM

5. KNR Thank you!

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 04:35 AM

6. Thank you for this- I'm up late at night, and this makes it worth staying up late for.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 07:35 AM

7. I love the subway. I think I am the only one who loves them, but I see this kind of thing a lot

on subways. For every bad subway experience I've had with people, I've had five good ones.

Plus they get you there fast and cheap.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 14, 2017, 10:24 PM

8. New York's and Boston's subways are the best

Don't get to visit much but when I do I always get aboard. Great for exploring and people watching. Combined with some walking, they are a great way to get around.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 16, 2017, 01:37 PM

9. Wonderful Picture, ..thanks for posting..k and r..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread